Electrical fault sparks fire in Shumway home’s basement

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Published:

 

A fire in a Shumway home Tuesday night was caused by an electrical fault in the main circuit breaker panel, according to the Vancouver Fire Marshal’s Office.

Firefighters were called to 3405 H St. at 8:02 p.m. Crews extinguished the blaze in about a half an hour. Smoke and fire was contained primarily to an unfinished basement, with some damage to a bathroom on the first floor, Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said.

The accidental fire caused an estimated $40,000 in damage, Scarpelli said.

Two adults and two children were affected by the fire. Volunteers with the Red Cross Disaster Action Team provided the residents comfort kits, blankets and information on services.