Dogs, cat die in Vancouver house fire caused by cigarettes

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Published:

 

Three pets died in a fire that destroyed a manufactured home Sunday in Vancouver’s Rose Village neighborhood.

The owner of the home, in the 3700 block of X Street, was at the coast at the time of the fire, which was reported at about 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Lead Deputy Fire Marshal Chad Lawry said.

When firefighters arrived, they found the blaze had fully engulfed the structure, and 18 fire personnel worked to protect nearby buildings, Lawry said.

The fire was caused by a cigarette that was put out in a plastic trash can on an exterior deck, Lawry said. Strong wind gusts played a significant part in the spread of the fire, he added.

The house, valued at $3,000, was a total loss, and belongings inside the home were worth an estimated $85,000. The home owner had no insurance and is staying with her daughter, Lawry said.

Lawry advised that people always put cigarette butts in water and then discard them in a metal can.