Washougal log cabin deemed total loss

Saturday fire caused $500,000 in damage, officials say

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Published:

 

A rural log cabin located in a forested area north of Washougal was a complete loss, resulting in more than $500,000 in damage, fire investigators said.

When firefighters arrived Saturday at the house, 2102 N.E. 375th Ave., at about 5:30 a.m., the cabin was already fully engulfed in flames, firefighters said.

Fifteen units from four different fire agencies responded and kept the fire from spreading and turning into a wildfire, Clark County Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Young said.

The house was a total loss, two vehicles were destroyed and two adults were displaced, Young said.

Smoke detectors alarmed and woke up the residents, who saw flames in a carport, Young said.

A contractor had been staining the floors of the carport the night before and the fire was likely caused by rags that spontaneously combusted, Young said.