If You Go
• Chunney Pop, food cart, various venues. 503-593-1548 or www.chunneypop.com. Facebook/Twitter @chunneypop; Instagram @chunney_pop
• Pacific Pops, food cart, various venues. 360-562-0546. Instagram: @pacificpopsnw; Twitter: @Pacific_Pops
• Nonavo Pizza, 110 W. Sixth St., Vancouver. www.nonavopizza.com. Facebook/Instagram: @nonavopizza
• Treat, 210 W. Evergreen Blvd., Vancouver. 360-750-0811 or www.treatvancouver.com. Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @TreatVancouver
This summer, I spent some time wandering around Vancouver trying to cool myself and satisfy my sweet tooth. This is what I found.
• Chunney Pop: On a recent visit, Chunney Pop’s menu featured frozen fruit pops in flavors such as Tuscan Melon Mint, Strawberry Mango, Pina Colada, Blueberry Lemonade, Raspberry Limeade and Watermelon Mojito. The Watermelon Mojito pop (watermelon, lime juice, and mint) was refreshing. The texture improved as the ice pop melted — becoming slushy with tiny flakes of ice that melted on my tongue. I had to move fast to try my kids’ Raspberry Limeade pops. Between licks, my daughter declared it was the best she had ever eaten. Child approval is important at Chunney Pop — each is tested by the Chunns’ adorable baby daughter, Eleanor.
• Pacific Pops: Nicole D’Angelo of Pacific Pops has served whole fruit, organic and natural, dairy-free frozen treats all summer long from her red-umbrella-covered wood cart at the Franklin Street Market. These nutrient-rich pops come in a variety of flavors such as Pink Lemonade (fresh strawberries with a pucker of lemon), Blueberry Lemon Iced Tea (a fruity Arnold Palmer), and Marionberry Matcha (high-quality Matcha tea mixed with a coconut base and layered with a Marionberry reduction).
• Nonavo Pizza: This summer, Nonavo Pizza added house-made ice cream — from local farm eggs and milk — to its menu. Ingredients such as fresh, local produce and coffee from Relevant Coffee are added to the ice cream base to create flavors such as Vanilla, Chocolate, Bay Leaf, Viridian Farms Strawberry, Mint Chocolate Chip and Coffee. Nonavo donates 20 percent of all ice cream sales to nonprofits.
• Treat: Every Tuesday morning at Treat, fresh waffle cones are pressed and turned upside down on a horizontal pole to make taco shell shapes. The shells are filled with rich, creamy soft serve ice cream (vanilla or chocolate), dipped in house-made magic shell (Valrohna dark chocolate, Adams Natural Peanut Butter, or Valrohna white chocolate) and topped with fruity pebble dust, salted peanuts, crushed pretzels, or Cocanu Craque, which is candied cacao nibs with sea salt. The top seller this summer has been the S’mores Taco — chocolate ice cream, dark chocolate dip, topped with graham cracker crumbs and a row of torched marshmallows.
Rachel Pinsky can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @couveeats.