Morning Press: Motorcyclist not found after fatal crash; suit filed over marathon; paraeducators




Cooling down? Heating up? Find out what’s in store for the weekend with our local weather coverage.

Here are some of the stories that grabbed our readers’ attention this week.

Motorcyclist lay dead near Interstate 5 for 3 days

The family of a Ridgefield man is looking for answers after he was killed in a single-vehicle motorcycle crash, but his body wasn’t found until family searched the area three days later.

The incident first began at about 2 a.m. on Aug. 15 when a trooper was in the area of Interstate 5 northbound near state Highway 14 and saw what appeared to be someone walking with a flashlight south of him, Washington State Patrol Trooper Will Finn said.

To access the area, the trooper went north on I-5 and looped back to the on-ramp and arrived to find a motorcycle leaned up against the jersey barrier and another vehicle pulled over, Finn said.

Suit filed over Vancouver marathon cancellation

A Portland man has filed a class-action lawsuit against Energy Events — the company that stages the Vancouver USA Marathon– on behalf of all Oregon consumers who registered for the race, alleging unlawful trade practices and unjust profit at another’s expense.

The Portland law office Olsen Daines filed the complaint Saturday on behalf of Cory Bradley in U.S. District Court in Portland. The complaint follows the cancellation of the 2017 Vancouver USA Marathon and seeks a jury trial for restitution over registration fees.

Search warrant is served on defense lawyer

Defense attorney Shon Bogar returned to his downtown Vancouver office from lunch Wednesday and was greeted by three officers from the Vancouver Police Department.

He routinely meets with police, but this time, the officers were there to serve him with a search warrant, an unusual occurrence that Bogar found highly offensive.

The officers sought a cellphone that Bogar obtained during his investigation into a domestic violence rape allegation. He was appointed to the case Monday in Clark County Superior Court. His client says he had consensual sex with his longtime girlfriend and denies the allegation.

Paraeducators find alternate path to teaching

Kyle Sharpe’s journey to this day — stapling posters on his classroom’s walls, putting toys in cupboards, planning lessons — was not typical. The Vancouver man left a career in advertising more than a decade ago, hoping to pursue a more meaningful career as a teacher.

Sharpe will begin his first year as a certified teacher Aug. 30 after working as a paraeducator — a classroom assistant — in special education classes at Vancouver Public Schools for two years. This year, he’ll teach his own special education class of kindergartners, first- and second-graders at Chinook Elementary School. He is looking forward to a rewarding career.

“No one is going to come back in 10 years and thank me for selling something,” Sharpe said.

Man’s addiction leaves trail of tragedy

Two years ago, Joshua Johnson stood outside the Clark County Courthouse and shook hands with the teenager who nearly lost his life — and did lose his lower right leg — after Johnson’s mother struck him with her car.

He had kicked his methamphetamine habit, he said, and was 27 months clean — the longest period of time since he started using drugs as a teenager. His mother, Shaun Johnson, unfortunately, still struggled.

Joshua Johnson managed to stay clean until about the end of 2015. But the siren’s call of addiction lured him back. This time, he said, “one hit” led to his life spiraling out of control.