A list of some stars who have publicly pledged to donate:
• Sandra Bullock, $1 million to the American Red Cross.
• Leonardo DiCaprio, $1 million to the new United Way Harvey Recovery Fund.
• Tyler Perry, $250,000 to Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church, $250,000 to Beyoncé’s pastor Rudy Rasmus and his Bread of Life organization and is assessing how to donate another $500,000 to Harvey relief.
• Miley Cyrus, $500,000 to the Red Cross, Best Friends, the Greater Houston Community Fund and other charities.
• Solange, all earnings from her Sept. 28 show, as well as $3 from each ticket from her Oct. 3 show.
• The Kardashian family, $250,000 each to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army.
• Country singer Chris Young, $100,000 to the Red Cross.
• Fall Out Boy, all proceeds from their Nov. 7 show.
• Kevin Hart, $50,000 to the Red Cross.
• “Supernatural” star Jensen Ackles, $50,000 to Random Acts.
• The Chainsmokers, $30,000 to the Red Cross.
• Ellen DeGeneres, $25,000 to the Red Cross and SPCA Texas.
• D.J. Khaled, $25,000 to the Red Cross.
• Dwayne Johnson, $25,000 to the Red Cross.
• Jennifer Lopez, $25,000 to the Red Cross.
• Alex Rodriguez, $25,000 to the Red Cross.
• Wendy Williams, $25,000 to the Red Cross.
• The Texas Tenors, all of the sales from their new single, “Rise,” to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is pledging $1 million in personal money to Harvey storm relief efforts.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders made the announcement at a briefing Thursday. She said Trump is calling on reporters to help decide which specific organization he should give to.
But Trump could also take a cue from his own re-election campaign. Earlier this week, his 2020 political committee blasted out emails and texts to more than 10 million supporters encouraging people to donate to Harvey efforts. The messages provided links to several specific charities: the Red Cross, Salvation Army, United Way and local animal rescue operations.
Before he was president, Trump was a celebrity, and a number of celebrities are donating to relief efforts.
A pair of Oscar winners, Sandra Bullock and Leonardo DiCaprio, are leading the way in stars’ donations to relief efforts for those affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas and Louisiana, but they’re not alone. Numerous other celebrities have pledged sizable amounts to charities.