Boys soccer: Hockinson, Ridgefield will vie for state berth



Hockinson and Ridgefield will meet for the third time this season on Saturday, this time with a berth to the 2A boys soccer state tournament on the line.

Both teams won loser-out matches Thursday in the 2A district tournament in very different fashions.

Brittan Gullickson had a hat trick and Jason Osborn added two more goals as the Ridgefield routed Tumwater 5-0.

Osborn scored three minutes into the match, and Gullickson followed with his first six minutes later as the Spudders built a 4-0 lead by halftime.

Hockinson need a penalty-kick shootout to slip past R.A. Long 2-1.

The teams played a scoreless first half before R.A. Long got on the board first with a goal in the 57th minutes.

The Lumberjacks appeared headed for victory until Phil Warthen scored on an assist from Kai Conradie in the 74th minute to tie it.

The Hawks won the PK shootout 4-2 for the victory.

A game time and site for Saturday’s match will be announced Friday.

Prairie 3, Lincoln 1 — The Falcons got a rare come-from-behind victory to stay alive in the 3A bi-district playoffs.

After trailing 1-0 at halftime, a formation change resulted in two goals by Ronan Wallace, both assisted by Lucas Tisdale, in the final 30 minutes of action.

Tisdale added a penalty-kick goal.

“It’s only the second time in three years we’ve came from behind,” Prairie coach Mike Mikelson said. “That shows something.”

Goalkeeper CJ Henry made five saves in goal.

“He had a huge night. Two or three of those were point-blank saves,” Mikelson said.

The Falcons (8-7-2) advance to face Spanaway Lake at 7 p.m. Saturday at Ingersoll Stadium in Olympia for a berth to state.

Gig Harbor 2, Evergreen 1 — Evergreen’s Killian Burris scored on a free kick in the 55th minute, but Gig Harbor scored the winner in the 70th minute to end the Plainsmen’s season in the 3A district playoffs.

“Great game by the boys,” Evergreen coach Keenan Burris said. “It was up and down. Just could not get the second goal.”

Evergreen ends its season at 7-8-2.

Mountain View awaits Gig Harbor next, 5 p.m. Saturday at McKenzie Stadium for a berth to state.

Mt. Tahoma 2, Hudson’s Bay 0 — Colin Marshall had eight saves in goal for the Eagles, whose season ends with a 7-9-1 record.

Puyallup 2, Skyview 1 — The Vikings scored the game winner — “It was a great goal,” Vic Oenning said — in the final minute to end the Storm’s season at 9-7-3.

Carlos Mejia’s goal in the 44th minute tied the game at 1-1.

Decatur 3, Battle Ground 1 — Volodymyr Taranenko scored a second-half goal for the Tigers, who were unable to rally from a 2-0 halftime deficit in a loser-out match in the 4A bi-district tournament.