“Goose” was golden at the Washington high school equestrian state meet.
Desiree Fisher of Camas rode Goose to a gold medal on May 14 in Moses Lake. The 16-year-old rider beat 18 others in the Hunt Seat Equitation Over Fences event.
Fisher qualified for the Pacific Northwest Invitational Championships June 2-4 in Redmond, Ore., to compete against top riders from Washington and Oregon.
Fisher started riding at 11 at the Cantera Equestrian Center in Camas. She still trains there and mentors younger riders.
In other local state medalists included:
• Klair Thomas of Prairie won gold for in-hand trail.
• Reese Black of Prairie won gold in driving.
• Ashlyn Anderson of Camas won bronze in hunt seat equitation. She was also third for in-hand trail.
• Rachel Sherrell of La Center was second in showmanship.
• Julianne Ramme of Washougal was third in showmanship.
• Janessa Long of Prairie was third in breakaway roping.
• Amelie Franki of Hockinson was second in steer daubing.
• Taytum Peters of Washougal was second in pole bending.
• Woodland was the bronze medalist in the in-hand obstacle relay and silver medalist in Canadian flag race.
• La Center won bronze in working pairs.
Union, River lacrosse fall in state tournament
The lacrosse teams from Union and Columbia River high schools were among the final 16 teams in the state playoffs last weekend.
Union, the defending state champion, was beaten 9-5 by Eastlake of Sammamish on Saturday at Camas High School.
Jarad McKinney scored three goals and Dominic Mendez had 10 saves for Union.
Columbia River lost at Seattle Academy 12-5. No scoring summary was provided.
Busy weekend of rowing on Vancouver Lake
Hundreds of rowers from Oregon and Washington converged on Vancouver Lake last weekend for the U.S. Rowing Northwest Youth Championships.
Vancouver Lake rowers Claire Scott and Emma DeVore placed first and second, respectively, in the women’s novice singles final.
Vancouver Lake two-person teams won in the men’s 3 varsity and men’s novice divisions.
Top rowers qualified for the national championships June 9-11 near Tampa, Fla.
Vancouver Lake will also host the Northwest Masters Regional Championships on June 23-25.