One dead after east Vancouver fire

By Mark Bowder, Columbian Metro Team Editor and Andy Matarrese, Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Published:

 

Smoking coupled with the use of medical oxygen sparked the fire that led to a woman’s death in a east Vancouver house fire Sunday night, according to the Vancouver Fire Marshal’s Office.

The fire was reported at 10:12 p.m. at a single-story home in the 800 block of Southeast 122nd Avenue, according to the Vancouver Fire Department. Crews arrived within five minutes to see smoke pouring from the back of the residence, the department said. After being told there could be someone still inside, firefighters attacked the fire and began a search in the still-burning house, the department said.

Firefighters removed the woman from the house, and crews began performing CPR and administering other advanced cardiac life support. The department said resuscitation efforts were halted after consultation with emergency room physicians at PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center.

Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said the woman was identified as Angela Ann Hartford, 45.

Two other women inside were able to escape, along with three dogs, Scarpelli said.

The Red Cross arrived to assist the displaced.

Crews extinguished the fire in 20 minutes, and investigators from the fire marshal’s office were called in to investigate.

The fire was a grim and tragic reminder to follow the instructions for medical oxygen and never use smoking materials while using medical oxygen.

Scarpelli said the fire did about $73,500 in damage to the single-family home and its contents.