Emily Phelps gave it everything she had Tuesday for her team.
Phelps outkicked Prairie’s Meri Dunford at the finish line, helping the Fort Vancouver girls cross country team earn a rare dual-meet victory over the host Falcons at Lewisville Park.
Phelps covered the 5,000-meter course in 19 minutes, 35.6 seconds. Dunford finished in 19:35.9.
“What I really wanted to do is win it for my team, because I really didn’t know where everyone else was,” Phelps said. “So it was really important that we showed up as a team to just do our best. So I just put it down (at the end of the race).”
As it turned out, the Trappers didn’t need that point edge Phelps earned them as Fort won 24-31. Fort junior Anna Harrison was third in 20:45.
It was a Fort individual sweep as Drew Weber won the boys race in 17:38. With four freshmen in its varsity seven, Prairie took the boys team victory 20-43. Prairie’s Luke Lund was second in 17:56.
Stars of the day
• Graham Moody, Mountain View boys golf, shot a 2-under-par 32 at Fairway Village for medalist as the Thunder beat Evergreen 150- 169.
• Haylee Brodahl, Union girls cross country, finished first by 17 seconds as the Titans won a four-team meet at Hudson’s Bay with 17 points.
• Kyle Ganoung, Battle Ground boys cross country, won by 15 seconds as Battle Ground scored 21 points to beat Union, Hudson’s Bay and Evergreen.
• Olivia Fothergill, Mountain View girls soccer, had four goals and three assists in the Thunder’s 8-1 win over Hudson’s Bay.
• Laynie Erickson, La Center volleyball, had 18 kills, 14 digs, 9 blocks and 4 aces in a 3-0 loss to Kalama.
• Bethany Karlson, Hockinson volleyball, posted 29 assists and 15 digs in the Hawks’ five-set victory over Columbia River.
• Vanessa Franke, Woodland volleyball, had 11 kills and 6 aces in a 3-0 win over R.A. Long.
• Kaylin Sperley, Prairie girls soccer, had three goals and two assists in the Falcons’ 8-0 win over Fort.
• Sydney Mederos, Washougal girls soccer, hit the winning penalty kick and played an outstanding game of defense as the Panthers beat Ridgefield 3-2 on penalty kicks.