A smoke detector was credited with warning a Vancouver family after part of their house caught fire this morning.
Kevin Stromberg, Vancouver Fire Department spokesman, said three occupants of the house at 5421 N.W. Cherry St. were awakened when a smoke detector went off.
“They were able to get out of the house,” he said. Firefighters arrived at 6:27 a.m., six minutes after 9-1-1 received the call.
“They saw smoke from the eaves of the house,” Stromberg said. “When made it around to the back, they found the deck on fire, and it had extended to the attic space. The majority of the firefighting was done in the attic space.
“It was under control in 15 minutes and they were able to save half the living space at the home,” Stromberg said.