Friday, October 15, 2021
Oct. 15, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Two arrested as gang task force investigates Vancouver shooting

By , Columbian Metro Editor

Two people have been arrested on assault charges as a gang task force continues its investigation into a shooting Friday in the Fourth Plain Village neighborhood of Vancouver.

Shawn Crawford, 22, and a 16-year-old boy were booked on suspicion of three counts of first-degree assault, according to the Vancouver Police Department. The boy’s name was not released.

The two were arrested by the Safe Streets Task Force following shootings at 2300 Neals Lane and at the intersection of East Fourth Plain Boulevard and Grand Boulevard, according to a VPD bulletin released Saturday morning.

Several 911 callers reported a shooting in the area at 2:48 p.m. Friday, with witnesses saying that gunshots were fired from a car, possibly a red Honda Civic, according to emergency radio traffic monitored by The Columbian.

Some suspects fled on foot and ran past a Thai restaurant, according to emergency radio traffic.

Police swarmed the scene and found a victim with a gunshot wound in his leg, who was taken to an area hospital, according to Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp. Police described the victim as a 16-year-old with injuries that weren’t life-threatening who was being uncooperative, according to emergency radio traffic.

As of Friday, it was unclear how many suspects there were, how many shots were fired and where. Five bullet casings were found in the area of St. Johns Boulevard and East 33rd Street, about a mile away from where the shooting was originally reported, Vancouver police Cpl. James Burgara said. Patrons of the nearby Rosemere Tavern heard gunshots, but emergency responders didn’t find a wounded victim.

Additionally, a 911 caller reported seeing someone pointing a gun out of the window of a red Honda Civic, which resembled a car reportedly involved in the earlier shooting. The car parked in front of the Clark County Courthouse, and the driver went inside the courthouse, Kapp said. When he came back outside the courthouse, police arrived and transported the driver to the Juvenile Justice Center. Kapp wasn’t sure how many people were inside the car, which was towed.

It’s also unclear whether the incident at the courthouse was related to the earlier shooting, or just happened to involve a similar vehicle.

Friday night’s scattered crime scenes left detectives processing evidence and witness testimony through the evening. The Safe Streets Task Force, a multi-agency unit that investigates gang crimes, is leading the investigation, Kapp said.

“Due to the sensitive nature of the incident and safety considerations for others, no victim information, to include hospital location, is being released,” the VPD bulletin said Saturday.