A 52-year-old man escaped injury when the van he was living in caught fire Wednesday afternoon.
Crews from the Camas-Washougal Fire Department responded to the vehicle fire, reported at about 4 p.m. in the parking lot near the skate park at Shepherd Road and Third Avenue in Camas, Battalion Chief Ron Schumacher said.
Prior to firefighters arriving, the man escaped the van. Police officers got to the scene and witnessed an explosion, Schumacher said. An oxygen cylinder, which the man used for medical reasons, was inside the van and caused the explosion, he said.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross responded to the scene and assisted the man with temporary housing.
The fire is believed to have been caused by some kind of problem with the fuel injection, Schumacher said.