Tuesday, June 28, 2022
June 28, 2022

Linkedin Pinterest

Cigarettes blamed for fire damaging home

By , Columbian Breaking News Reporter
Published:

Improperly discarded cigarettes caused a fire that damaged a manufactured home in Vancouver’s North Hearthwood neighborhood.

Firefighters responded to a blaze at a double-wide manufactured home at 14317 N.E. 18th St. just after 2 a.m. Thursday and arrived to find a deck on fire. No one was injured, and all but one person made it out of the residence without incident.

An entryway into the house used by a person in a wheelchair was blocked by flames, so firefighters had to go in and bring that person out.

Crews quickly doused the flames but remained on the scene for about two hours to make sure the fire hadn’t spread to the house.

The damage to the structure was an estimated $2,000, Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said.

Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Support local journalism

Your tax-deductible donation to The Columbian’s Community Funded Journalism program will contribute to better local reporting on key issues, including homelessness, housing, transportation and the environment. Reporters will focus on narrative, investigative and data-driven storytelling.

Local journalism needs your help. It’s an essential part of a healthy community and a healthy democracy.

Community Funded Journalism logo
Loading...