A group of volunteers that collected thousands of feminine hygiene products in February 2017 is back this month with even loftier goals.
Last year, Every28Days collected about 4,000 boxes of tampons and pads that were distributed in March to organizations serving homeless women and girls. By July, that stockpile had been used up, said Vancouver resident Lisa Goodrich, one of the organizers. She hopes they can at least double the amount of product collected.
“The goal ideally would be to take care of everybody for a year,” Goodrich said. “I know that’s a huge goal.”
To help that goal they’ve about doubled the number of collection bins around Clark County. And, the group is also having two period parties Feb. 28 to up awareness and donations and mark the end of a successful campaign. Mill Creek Pub in Battle Ground and Garage Bar & Grille will host parties from 3 to 7 p.m.
Every28Days — a reference to women’s menstrual cycles running every 28 days — is collecting boxes of hygiene products through the end of this month. Goodrich said she’s already brought donations to YWCA Clark County and the Clark County Food Bank.
While people regularly donate food and clothing to help the homeless, many people don’t think about donating pads and tampons. Women on the streets can be forced to use toilet paper, newspaper or plants while on their period, and homeless students using their schools’ Family and Community Resource Centers face similar embarrassing challenges. Goodrich said this can result in health issues, such as toxic shock syndrome.
If everyone just bought one box and donated it, that would help a lot, she said.
Local businesses and offices set up pink Waste Connections bins and other collection bins around Vancouver:
- Clark County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, 1013 Franklin St.
- A Dogs Best Friend Doggy Day Care, 4601 N.E. 78th St. or 316 S.E. Hearthwood Blvd.
- Salmon Creek Plastic Surgery, 13712 N.E. 10th Ave.
- Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, 1101 Broadway, No. 100.
- The Quarry Senior Living, 415 S.E. 177th Ave.
- ALMEA Insurance, 201 N.E. Park Plaza.
- PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center, 600 N.E. 92nd Ave.
- PeaceHealth Medical Group Obstetrics & Gynecology, 505 N.E. 87th Ave., No. 160.
- Glenwood Place Senior Living, 5500 N.E. 82nd Ave.
- Whole Foods Market, 815 S.E. 160th Ave.
- American Family Insurance, 8720 N.E. Centerpointe Drive, No. 105.
- Filbin’s Ace Hardware, 809 N.E. Minnehaha St.
- Ameriprise Financial Services, 1499 S.E. Tech Center Place, No. 202.
- Barre3, 3604 N.W. 119th St.
- Divine Consign, 904 Main St.
- GLAMbeauty Bar, 202 E. Evergreen Blvd.
- Innovative Services NW, 9414 N.E. Fourth Plain Road.
- Morton’s Stoves, Pools, & Spas, 8318 E. Mill Plain Blvd.
- PeaceHealth Memorial Health Center, 3400 Main St.
There are more drop-off locations in Battle Ground:
- Morton’s Stoves, Pools & Spas, 711 E. Main St.
- Dapper D, 1103 S.E. Rasmussen Blvd.
- Riverview Community Bank, 15 N.W. 13th Ave.
- Mill Creek Pub, 1710 S.W. Ninth Ave., No. 101.