A Woodland apartment’s fire sprinkler system quickly doused an early morning kitchen fire Thursday, minimizing damage to the unit and others in the complex.
“The team at Clark-Cowlitz Fire Rescue, along with some Woodland residents, were very thankful for fire sprinklers early this morning,” the fire agency said in a press release later Thursday.
The fire was reported shortly after midnight at an apartment building in the 1300 Block of Glenwood Street in Woodland, the press release said.
“The fire started when an appliance was accidentally left on and overheated, causing a fire that spread to the cabinets below,” the press release said. “Fire crews were notified of the fire by an automatic fire alarm tied to the fire sprinkler system.”
A single fire sprinkler controlled the fire, ensuring the safety of the apartment’s two occupants and of those living in neighboring apartments.
“This situation would have been much worse had the building not been protected with fire sprinklers,” said Clark-Cowlitz Fire Rescue Division Chief Mike Jackson. “There likely would have been significantly more damage along with a greater risk of injury to the building occupants.”