Saturday, May 8, 2021
May 8, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Man fatally shot at Waterfront Vancouver identified

Police say no arrests have been made, investigation will go to prosecutor for review

By , Columbian Assistant Metro Editor

A man fatally shot Saturday morning at The Waterfront Vancouver was identified Wednesday as 29-year-old Kin K. Bossy.

The Vancouver man died of a gunshot wound to the chest, according to the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office.

The medical examiner ruled Bossy’s death a homicide, meaning it resulted from another person’s deliberate action. The ruling does not make any judgments about criminal culpability.

An independent contractor newspaper carrier for The Columbian, identified by police as 35-year-old Justyn Vallandingham, reportedly fired at Bossy after finding him inside his vehicle.

The Vancouver Police Department said Wednesday that no one has been arrested in the shooting. However, once the investigation is completed, the department’s Major Crimes Unit will forward the case to the Clark County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for review of possible charges.

Police responded around 4:30 a.m. Saturday to the 700 block of Waterfront Way for a report of a shooting.

Vallandingham was delivering newspapers in the area, police said, and left his vehicle unlocked and running while he went to make a delivery at the RiverWest Building, 700 Waterfront Way.

When he returned, he saw an unknown man, later identified as Bossy, sitting in the driver’s seat of his vehicle, he reportedly told police. Vallandingham pulled his concealed firearm and pointed it at Bossy, who turned and leaned toward the center console of the vehicle, according to a police department news release.

Vallandingham reportedly told police he was in fear that Bossy was trying to grab a weapon, so he fired at him. He subsequently called 911 to report the shooting, the news release said.

Police previously said Vallandingham has a concealed pistol license.

Investigators obtained a search warrant for Vallandingham’s vehicle and said they plan to search it this week.