The La Center baseball team capped its season by winning the program’s first 1A district title, topping King’s Way 6-5 in the championship game Tuesday in Montesano.
Michael Goode was the winning pitcher and drove in two runs for the Wildcats, including an RBI single in a two-run first inning.
The program’s first title is a crowning moment for nine seniors, who had their junior season cancelled and this season shortened.
“It’s something that’s special for this senior class, which has worked so hard,” La Center coach Rick Skinner said. “Everyone had a great attitude, not of what could have been but what could still be.”
La Center stretched its lead to 6-0, but King’s Way rallied. The Knights scored five runs in the bottom of the sixth, with the big blow being a three-run homer by Bryce Dodge.
Riley Fender got the last four outs to earn the save.
La Center (14-2) and King’s Way (13-3) were Trico League co-champions, splitting two league games.
La Center reached the title game with a 3-1 win over Elma in the semifinals earlier Tuesday. Irving Alvarez pitched a complete game, striking out nine.
King’s Way reached the title game with a 3-0 win over Montesano in the semifinals earlier Tuesday.
Bryce Dodge threw a two-hit shutout, striking out 10 and walking two.
The Knights scored all three runs in the top of the first. Andrew Peru’s two-RBI double followed a RBI single by Ty Mairs.
Stars of the day
• Sawyer Parkin, Columbia River baseball, went 2 for 4 with four RBI in an 18-1 nonleague win over Ridgefield.
• Camryn Biggs, Mountain View softball, went 3 for 4 with two doubles and four RBI in a 12-5 win over Prairie.
• Brendon Leach, La Center boys soccer, scored four goals in a 6-1 win over Tenino in the first round of the 1A district playoffs.
• Serafim Apostolou and David Moore, Seton Catholic boys soccer, each scored two goals in a 8-0 win over Montesano in the 1A district playoffs.
• Jude Willis, Ridgefield boys soccer, scored four goals in an 8-2 win over Fort Vancouver.
• Darby Peters, Hockinson softball, went 2 for 5 with a home run in a 7-2 win over Woodland.
• Gaige Pilot, Woodland boys soccer, scored two goals in a 5-0 win over Mark Morris.
• Mikey Miller, Skyview baseball, pitched a complete game, striking out seven and walking none in a 3-2 win over Union.
• Gehrig Hoskins, Heritage baseball, went 2 for 4 with three RBI and a double in an 11-1 win over Evergreen.