Tuesday, April 13, 2021
April 13, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Microwave range caused Vancouver house fire

By , Columbian Assistant Metro Editor
Published:

A Feb. 11 house fire in which the home’s roof collapsed was caused by an electrical malfunction or failure of the microwave range, according to the Vancouver Fire Marshal’s Office.

Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said the fire was determined to be accidental.

Three residents were displaced, and a dog and cat were killed in the blaze; a pet bird is unaccounted for, she said.

Vancouver Fire Department crews were dispatched at 7:39 p.m. to 12302 S.E. McGillivray Blvd., in the Riveridge neighborhood for a report of a residential structure fire.

The first arriving engine found a house with flames shooting from its roof, according to the fire department.

A ladder truck and another fire engine arrived shortly thereafter, and the two crews went inside the single-story home to search it and extinguish the blaze.

The home’s ceiling collapsed as firefighters were making their way back outside, which partially trapped one of them. Firefighters still inside were able to help free their colleague, according to the fire department. There were no reported injuries.

A total of five fire engines and one ladder truck responded to the scene.

Scarpelli said the estimated property and contents loss is $267,393.

Loading...

Commenting is no longer available on Columbian.com. Please visit our Facebook page to leave comments on local stories.