Tuesday, September 21, 2021
Sept. 21, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

What to know if planning Canada visit


The United States on Wednesday extended its pandemic restrictions on nonessential travel at the U.S.-Canada land border for at least a month. The announcement comes shortly after Canada shared plans to reopen the border to fully vaccinated Americans in August.

Here’s what the current restrictions mean for travel between the U.S. and Canada.

From U.S. to Canada

Beginning Aug. 9, fully vaccinated citizens and permanent residents of the United States who currently live in the U.S. will be permitted to enter Canada for nonessential travel.

To be eligible to enter Canada, a person must have received the full series of a vaccine — or combination of vaccines — accepted by the government of Canada at least 14 days before entering Canada. The current list of acceptable vaccines: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

Unvaccinated children under the age of 12, or unvaccinated dependent children (due to a mental or physical condition), can accompany a fully vaccinated parent, stepparent, guardian or tutor.

According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, fully vaccinated travelers are required to:

  • Provide COVID-19-related information electronically through ArriveCAN (app or web portal), including proof of vaccination before departing for Canada (subject to limited exceptions).
  • Meet the preentry testing requirements.
  • Be asymptomatic upon arrival.
  • Have a paper or digital copy of their vaccination documentation in English or French (or certified translation, along with the original) ready to show a government official upon request.

To U.S. from Canada

The Biden administration’s extension of travel restrictions at the U.S.-Canada border is set to last through Aug. 21.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States is considered essential travel and is not restricted.

The restrictions on nonessential travel do not apply to air, freight rail, or sea travel between the United States and Canada, but do apply to passenger rail, passenger ferry travel and pleasure boat travel.