Firefighters and police blocked off a large area Tuesday morning around Cascade Park Plaza in east Vancouver due to a gas leak, according to the Vancouver Fire Department.
Engine 8 responded around 3:30 a.m. to 305 S.E. Chkalov Drive, where crews arrived to a strong smell of natural gas. A contractor had breached a 2-inch, high-pressure natural gas line, the fire department said in a news release.
The fire department denied entry south of Mill Plain Boulevard near 117th Avenue, where there were high levels of natural gas in the adjacent buildings and streets, the department said. Vancouver police also helped to block roads.
The department’s regional hazmat team responded, as well as NW Natural, which stopped the leak around 5:15 a.m., the news release said.
People were able to return to the area once natural gas levels were back to zero, according to the fire department.
The fire department had 12 responders on scene.