A house fire caused one minor injury and the total loss of a home in Northwest Battle Ground on Friday evening, displacing three people.
The fire was reported at 5:17 p.m. at 511 N.W. 21St Circle, according to Clark County Fire District 3 Fire Marshal Chris Drone. Crews arrived at the scene within five minutes.
Crews from Fire District 3 and Clark County Fire and Rescue found a “fully involved” house fire, according to a press release from Fire District 3. Crews were able to get the fire under control using a ladder truck to deliver water from above. The process took about 20 minutes, Drone said.
Fire department personnel remained at the site for about two and a half hours. The fire caused an estimated $500,000 in damage to the 2,200-square-foot building and its contents, and Drone said the structure was a total loss.
One person suffered a minor burn to their hand, according to Drone. That person and the other two displaced people received aid from American Red Cross, according to the press release.
The press release stated that the cause of the fire “appears to be accidental in nature, most likely caused by a charcoal grill.” The fire started at the grill and spread up the nearby vinyl siding of one of the house’s walls and into the attic space, Drone said.
The press release included several grilling safety tips including keeping grills away from siding, deck rails and eves, keeping a 3-foot safe area around the grill, cleaning the grill after each use and keeping an eye on it at all times while in use.