One shot made the difference for Sam James.
The Columbia River golfer won the 2A Greater St. Helens League individual title on Monday, shooting 1-over 72 at Mint Valley in Longview.
James barely edged three other golfers. R.A. Long’s Jay Nickerson and Woodland’s Gaige Pilot and Dane Huddleston all shot 73.
James’ individual title highlighted a good showing for River, which won the team title with 122 points. Ryan Snyder placed 10th (81), Jack Kendrick tied for 11th (82) and Noah Larson and Alden Fay tied for 14th (83).
Ridgefield placed second in the team event with 92 points. Cade Bringhurst placed sixth (76) to lead the Spudders.
Woodland finished third with 88 points. R.A. Long was fourth out of eight teams with 85.
Stars of the day
• Laredo Maldanado, Union boys golf, shot a team-best 2-over 38 as the Titans edged Mountain View by one stroke in a 4A/3A GSHL match at Camas Meadows.
• Allen Kim, Skyview boys golf, shot even-par 37 at Tri-Mountain to lead the Storm past Prairie.
• Ty Mairs, King’s Way Christian boys golf, shot 1-over 37 leading the Knights to victory in a three-team match at Club Green Meadows.
• Andrianne Agbayani, Evergreen girls soccer, scored both goals in a 2-1 win over Battle Ground.
• Amanda Harper, Mountain View volleyball, had 28 digs in a four-set loss to Kelso.
• Arriana Walker, Evergreen volleyball, had nine kills, six aces and 13 digs to lead her team back from an 0-2 deficit to beat Battle Ground.