Tyler Howard broke up a tie game with a run-scoring single in the top of the seventh and Skyview added an insurance run on an error as the Storm remained undefeated in 4A/3A Greater St. Helens League play with a 4-2 victory at Battle Ground on Wednesday.
Both starting pitchers matched efforts with nearly identical stats.
Skyview’s Caden Vire went five innings, allowing one run on four hits with 11 strikeouts and two walks.
Battle Ground’s Zach Hauser also went five innings, allowing two runs on four hits with 11 strikeouts and two walks.
Skyview (6-0) scored a run in the second on a wild pitch and took a 2-0 on Kyle Memarian’s single.
Battle Ground got one back in the fourth thanks to Ty Linster getting hit by a Vire pitch with the bases-loaded.
The Tigers tied the game on Jack Hotchkiss’ two-out run-scoring single in the sixth.
Skyview’s Cade Reitzenstein set the Tigers down in order in the bottom of the seventh with a ground out and two strikeouts to seal the win.
Woodland’s Rayleah Trice shot an 85 at Tumwater Valley and is in third place after the first day of the 2A district golf tournament.
Tumwater’s Lily McCauley shot a 74 and leads the field by 10 shots.
Columbia River’s Karyn Gomez is in fifth at 88, and Ridgefield’s Alyssa Dewey is sixth at 89.
Stars of the day
- Boston Jensen, Camas baseball, was 2 for 3 with a two-run double and a run-scoring single as the Papermakers beat Heritage 17-2 in five innings.
- Jordan Head, Union baseball, was 2 for 3 with an RBI double and three-run home run as the Titans held off Evergreen 18-10.
- Russ Fearington, Evergreen baseball, was 3 for 5 with two doubles, three RBI and two runs scored in the Plainsmen’s loss to Union.
- Alexis Leone and Azlin Wong, Camas softball, had three hits each with an RBI batting from the 1-2 spots in the lineup in a 9-7 win over Heritage.
- Anna Gatlin and Elissa St. Julian, Prairie bowling, both had 600-plus series in the win over Mountain View. Gatlin had a 625 series (205-194-226), and St. Julian a 617 series (181-201-235).
- Giovanny Evanson, King’s Way Christian boys basketball, had 15 points and five steals in the Knights’ season-opening 74-29 win over Castle Rock.
- Jacinda Lee, Camas girls golf, shot a season-best 1-under 35 at Camas Meadows in a win over Evergreen.
- Jade Gruher, Union girls golf, shot a 1-over 37 at Camas Meadows as the Titans edged Kelso.
- Bailee Boltz, Union softball, went 3 for 3 with two runs, a double and three RBI in an 11-4 win over Evergreen.
- Josh Boda, Union boys soccer, had two goals and an assist for the Titans, who improve to 3-0-0 with a 5-0 win over Skyview.
- Delayne Edmonson, Battle Ground bowling, scored 224 in her third game of a 611 series at the Tigers beat Kelso 2004-1836.
- Andres Bejar, Evergreen boys soccer, had three goals in a 5-0 win over Battle Ground.
- Dylan Brooks-Minck, Fort Vancouver baseball, pitched a five-inning one-hitter with five strikeouts and a walk and went 1 for 3 with a double at the plate in Fort’s 2-1 win over Hudson’s Bay.
- Emily Strehle, Kelso bowling, had games of 244 and 204 in her 615 series at Triangle Bowl against Battle Ground.