Sam Empey won two events and Jack Gallo won another to lead the Union boys swimming team to a narrow win over Camas in an 12-team invitational meet at Kelso.
Union won the team title with 460 points. Camas was second with 453.
Empey won 200-yard freestyle in 1 minutes, 52 seconds and the 100 butterfly in 53.69 seconds. Gallo won the 500 freestyle in 4:56.12.
Skyview’s Jace Creech and Mountain View’s Justin Xue also won two events each. Creech won the 200 individual medley (2:02.57) and the 100 backstroke (54.08), while Xue finished first in the 50 freestyle (21.69) and 100 breaststroke (59.60).
Columbia River’s Liam Noftsker won the 100 freestyle (49.71). Camas won the 200 medley and 400 free relays, while Union took the 200 free relay.
Stars of the day
- Averie Sievers and Kya Jenkins, Skyview softball. Leadoff hitter Sievers went 4 for 4 with a triple, two RBI and four runs scored, and Jenkins was 2 for 4 with a triple, home run and five RBI in the 12-6 win at Camas.
- Hunter Letteer, Kelso baseball, singled home the go-ahead run in the top of the seventh as the Hilanders scored two in the sixth and one in the seventh to beat Mountain View 3-2.
- Seth Minor, Skyview baseball, went 2 for 3 with two runs, two doubles, including an RBI double during a three-run fifth for the Storm in a 4-2 win over Camas.
- Jack Hotchkiss, Battle Ground baseball, was 2 for 4 with three RBI in the Tigers’ 7-3 win over Union.
- Cady Gruenberg, Battle Ground softball, pitched seven innings with 12 Ks and went 1 for 2 with an RBI for first-place Tigers in a 3-1 win over Union.
- Rylan Taylor, Heritage baseball, threw a shutout and went 1 for 3 in the Timberwolves’ 4-0 win over Evergreen.