Down two sets after winning the first, the Mountain View volleyball team outlasted Evergreen in five to win the 3A Greater St. Helens League match and stay one game behind first-place Kelso in the standings.
Scores were 25-20, 20-25, 17-25, 25-23, 15-5.
Thunder coach Rachael Howington said despite the close fourth set score, her squad led it from the start and held off Evergreen’s comeback bid.
Among the big defensive numbers for the Thunder (5-4, 4-1 3A GSHL), Amanda Harper had 39 digs, Olivia Goodrich and Bethany Pham 17 each, Makena Gamby with 16 digs to go along with a team-high 29 assists.
Edita Ljuca led in kills with 11.
For Evergreen, Jocie Snyder had 22 digs, and Elizabeth Lopez had 12 digs and 11 kills.
Stars of the day
- Bailey Morris and Maddie Cooke, Union girls soccer, were named players of the match after the Titans went 80 minutes with 10 players after a red card and beat Skyview 2-0. Both goals were scored in the first half with those 10 players.
- Adrianne Agbayani, Evergreen girls soccer, had both goals for the Plainsmen in a 6-2 loss at Kelso.
- Grady Millar and Alex Rigby, Mountain View boys golf. Millar was medalist with a 3-under-par 33 at Club Green Meadows, and Rigby was one back with a 2-under 34 as the Thunder shot a school-record 1-under 143 in a victory over Heritage.
- Brecken Desmet, Prairie boys golf, posted a 2-over-par 37 at Lewis River for medalist in the Falcons’ win over Kelso.
- Samuel Grice, Washougal boys cross country, won the 5,000-meter race at William Clark Park in 16 minutes, 21 seconds to lead the Panthers to a win over Hockinson and Hudson’s Bay.
- Elle Thomas, Washougal girls cross country, led the Panthers to a perfect score of 15 by winning the 5,000-meter race at William Clark Park in 18:57 against Hudson’s Bay at Hockinson.
- Tyra Schaub, Skyview volleyball, had a double-double with 11 kills and 10 digs in the Storm’s sweep of Battle Ground.