Sunday, November 28, 2021
Nov. 28, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Investigators: Clark County deputies sought Karuo for pointing gun at man

Deputies involved in the fatal shooting identified as David Delin, Forrest Gonzales

By , Columbian staff writer

The man fatally shot Sunday by Clark County sheriff’s deputies was wanted for pointing a handgun at a man in a Sept. 29 incident caught on a dashboard camera, according to the Vancouver Police Department.

Investigators said deputies were attempting to stop Kfin Karuo in connection with the alleged assault in east Vancouver. After he allegedly refused to stop and later pointed a gun at deputies, two of them fatally shot him, according to the police.

The deputies were identified Thursday as David Delin and Forrest Gonzales, who have been with the sheriff’s office for 3½ years and three years, respectively. Both are on critical incident leave while the Southwest Washington Independent Investigative Response Team investigates the shooting.

Karuo, who was in his late 20s, was found dead in a driveway at the Oak Creek Mobile Home Park, 5102 N.E. 121st Ave., near where his vehicle was stopped.

The shooting occurred about a half-mile east from where the alleged assault occurred in a shopping center parking lot about two weeks earlier.

In the newly released video, a man, identified by police as Karuo, is seen driving in a white Ford Expedition. He approaches a man parked at 11320 N.E. 49th St.

The dashcam footage, recorded by the parked car, does not have any audio. Investigators said Karuo asked the man if he was a cop. When the man told him it was none of his business, Karuo pointed a gun at him and told him to leave, according to a Thursday police update.

Around 2:20 a.m. Sunday, deputies tried to stop the SUV Karuo was driving and performed a pursuit intervention technique, or PIT, maneuver. Karuo’s SUV skidded to a halt on a berm along Northeast 49th Street near the intersection with Northeast 122nd Street.

After he was shot, he fled a short distance on foot, according to Vancouver police, and was found partially under a car. The agency said he still had the gun in his hand, with his finger on the trigger when he was found.

A red and gold memorial has stood in the grass this week near the shooting.

Several bullets hit homes at the nearby mobile home park. The sheriff’s office said the county is working aggressively to compensate families or fix the damage to houses.

Once the investigative response team finishes its investigation, the results will be reviewed by prosecutors.