Friday, September 17, 2021
Sept. 17, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Portland police shooting follows chase into Vancouver

By , Columbian Editor

Portland police say they shot the driver of a stolen pickup early Sunday after a chase around the metro area, including into Clark County.

The incident began after a 1:37 a.m. dispatch to Southwest Third Avenue and Southwest Ash Street in downtown Portland, where the truck had just been stolen. A few minutes later, it was spotted near Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard, according to a news release.

A Portland Police air unit began watching the truck as the suspect drove through southeast Portland, into northeast Portland along Highway 99 and then onto Interstate 5 northbound into Clark County  at about 2:12 a.m. The air unit provided updates that the suspect was driving at high speeds, sometimes into oncoming traffic, and that the pickup nearly crashed into other traffic on more than one occasion.

The suspect spent about 10 minutes driving in Clark County, then drove back into Oregon on Interstate 5 south. The suspect drove across the Fremont Bridge into Northwest Portland and then west up West Burnside Street to Southwest Barnes Road. The suspect drove north on Northwest Miller Road to Northwest Ash Street, which is a dead end.

Officers converged on the suspect in the pickup in the 8300 block of Northwest Ash Street and at about 2:38 a.m. broadcast that shots had been fired. Officers took the suspect into custody and provided first aid until medical personnel arrived.

The suspect was transported to the hospital by ambulance to be treated for a non-life threatening gunshot wound. He is identified as 27-year-old Andreus J. Boinay. Boinay, has been booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center on suspicion of recklessly endangering another person, reckless driving, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and attempt to elude in a vehicle.

Two Portland officers, who will be identified on Monday, discharged firearms.

“We are in the preliminary stages but will conduct a thorough investigation,” said Chief Chuck Lovell, who was on scene. “This is a situation no officer wants to face. I want to thank everyone who responded to the scene as well as those who were out taking emergency calls in the city.”