For an off-year election, Clark County voters may be surprised at how many votes they will cast in November. Dozens of candidates are vying for positions in every city and school district in the county. Ballots will go out Oct. 15 and should arrive in mailboxes no later than Oct. 21.
To help educate voters before they cast their ballots, the Clark County League of Women Voters is hosting a series of online candidate forums. All forums will be held using Zoom and will be broadcast live by CVTV and streamed at cvtv.org.
The first forum in the series will focus on the Washougal and Vancouver mayoral races, the Clark Regional Wastewater District and Fire District 6. The forum begins at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday.
The Washougal mayoral race was thrust into the spotlight this month after candidate Derik Ford was arrested on suspicion of fourth-degree assault domestic violence. The arrest came after an argument with a family member became physical, according to the Camas Police Department. Ford, who has pleaded not guilty, suspended his campaign over the weekend.
The other forums scheduled are:
- La Center City Council at 6:30 p.m., Friday.
- Vancouver City Council and Port of Vancouver at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 29.
- Vancouver school board and Evergreen school board at 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 29.
- Ridgefield City Council and Battle Ground City Council at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 30.
- Camas mayor and city council at 6:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 1.
- Camas school board, Washougal school board and Port of Camas-Washougal at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 1.
The League noted that in races where only one candidate responded, a forum could not be scheduled. Candidates willing to appear but not scheduled were Molly Coston, Washougal City Council; Mary Snitily, Battle Ground school board; Jackie Maddux, Battle Ground school board; Erika Cox, Camas school board; Teresa VanNatta, Hockinson school board; Zenia Bringhurst, Ridgefield school board; and Scott S. Anders, Fire District 3.
For more information about the candidate forums or other voter resources, go to https://lwvclarkcounty.org.