Clark County Public Health issued a warning advisory at Round Lake in Camas on Thursday after testing detected elevated levels of cyanotoxins from algae in the lake.
The water samples were taken Monday. Warning signs are being placed at public access points at the lake. The warning advisory issued last week for Lacamas Lake remains in place.
Cyanotoxins can be harmful to people, especially young children, and deadly for small pets that drink the water.
At lakes with warning advisories health officials recommend:
- No swimming or water skiing.
- No water contact for animals.
- Avoid areas of scum when using motorized boats, paddle boarding, kayaking or canoeing.
- Don’t drink lake water.
- Clean fish well and discarding organs.
Harmful algal blooms can pose a significant health risk if the cyanobacteria or toxins are ingested, inhaled or contact skin. Inhaled bacteria or toxins could cause wheezing, coughing, chest tightness and shortness of breath. Skin contact could lead to rash, itching, blisters and eye irritation.
If water with cyanotoxins is accidentally swallowed, symptoms could include abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, numbness of the lips, tingling in fingers and toes, and dizziness.