Wednesday, August 17, 2022
Aug. 17, 2022

Linkedin Pinterest

Tacoma has top average starting salary in U.S.; Vancouver 99th best to start a career

By
Published:

TACOMA — Tacoma is the city in the U.S. with the highest monthly average starting salary, according to a recent study by personal finance website WalletHub.

The study found Tacoma’s monthly average starting salary was about $4,724, thousands of dollars more than the lowest in the nation in Juneau, Alaska — at just $1,669 a month.

Tacoma was followed by Bridgeport, Connecticut; Austin, Texas; Durham, N.C.; and Fort Worth, Texas for locales with the highest starting salaries nationally.

The study also evaluated 182 cities across 27 metrics to determine the best overall place to start a career in the U.S. Those metrics included the availability of entry-level positions, monthly average starting salaries, unemployment rates, job satisfaction, housing affordability and annual job growth rate.

Based on these metrics, Seattle is the fifth-best city in the country to start a career.

The next Washington city to be ranked was Tacoma, at 34th place. In 44th place was Spokane, followed by Vancouver in 99th place. No other Washington cities ranked among the top 182 cities nationally.

Florida was the only state to have multiple cities in the top 10, with Orlando, Miami and Tampa among some of the most desirable cities in America to start a career.

Recent college graduates can breathe a sigh of relief as employers plan to hire 31.6% more students from the 2022 graduating class than they hired from those who graduated in 2021, according to a report from the National Association of Colleges and Employers.

The 2021 report also found that employers plan to embrace remote working, and it’s likely only 42% of entry-level positions will be fully in person. The remaining 58% of positions are a blend of in-person and online work, and some are fully remote.

Support local journalism

Your tax-deductible donation to The Columbian’s Community Funded Journalism program will contribute to better local reporting on key issues, including homelessness, housing, transportation and the environment. Reporters will focus on narrative, investigative and data-driven storytelling.

Local journalism needs your help. It’s an essential part of a healthy community and a healthy democracy.

Community Funded Journalism logo
Loading...