Woodland’s Dane Huddleston shot 4-under-par 31, but Hockinson got the upper hand in a 2A Greater St. Helens League boys golf match at Lewis River on Tuesday.
Huddleston, a senior and defending district champion, started with five consecutive birdies.
Huddleston’s lone hiccup was a bogey on the par-4 ninth hole.
Hockinson’s Grant Gumringer shot 1-over as the Hawks won the match 162-167.
Stars of the day
- Tanner Moody, Heritage boys golf, shot 1-over 38, the lowest score in a match against Skyview at Tri-Mountain.
- Laredo Maldanado, Union boys golf, shot 1-over 37, the low round as the Titans beat Kelso at Three Rivers.
- Lizzy Andrew, Ridgefield volleyball, had a team-high 13 kills as the Spudders swept Fort Vancouver.
- Ella Conklin, Prairie volleyball, had 16 kills and six blocks as the Falcons beat Union in three sets.
- Samuel Grice, Washougal boys cross country, posted a nine-second victory in a four-way meet with Woodland, R.A. Long and Castle Rock. His time on the 5,000-meter course at Lake Sacajawea was 17:08.60.
- Elle Thomas, Washougal girls cross country, led a 1-2-3 Panthers’ finish in the four-way meet with Woodland, R.A. Long and Castle Rock. She ran the 5,000-meter course at Lake Sacajawea in 19:49.25 to win by 43 seconds.
- Shaela Bradley and Madisen Newbury, La Center girls soccer, scored three and two goals, respectively, as the Wildcats opened Trico League play with an 8-0 win over Stevenson.
- Sofia Aragon, Seton Catholic girls soccer, had a goal and an assist in a 3-0 win over King’s Way Chrstian. It’s the first time the Cougars have beaten their rival since 2013.
- Maddie Cooke, Union girls soccer, scored a hat trick in an 8-1 win over Evergreen.
- Ella Schoene, La Center volleyball, had 22 kills and 12 digs as the Wildcats beat Montesano 3-1.
- Josie Snyder, Evergreen volleyball, had 26 digs as the Plainsmen outlasted Skyview in five sets.
- Savannah Kvistad, Camas girls soccer, scored the match-winner as the Papermakers beat Lake Oswego 1-0.