A weekly look back compiled by the Clark County Historical Museum from The Columbian archives available at columbian.newspapers.com or at the museum.
100 years ago
On Jan. 9, 1923, The Columbian reported “pussywillows as well as croaking frogs and tree toads, budding lilac bushes and meadowlarks” popping up throughout the county. These flora and fauna were making a strong bid for an early spring that year.
75 years ago
With the groundbreaking of the new First Methodist Church located at 32nd and Main streets nearing, The Columbian detailed the construction plans on Jan. 9, 1948. To the delight of local tree lovers, the original fir trees would be included in the church’s landscaping design.
50 years ago
Clark County commissioners announced the acquisition of over 100 acres from Alcoa along Vancouver Lake around Jan. 10, 1973. After over a year of meetings, construction and even a court case, Vancouver Lake Park opened in the spring of 1974.
25 years ago
Betty Plank worked with Clark County park planners to save a 3.5-acre wooded area from clear-cutting. The saved acreage was transferred to the Vancouver-Clark Parks and Recreation Department and turned into a designated natural area in the Marrion neighborhood of Vancouver.