Avah Eslinger’s first-half goal, assisted by Paige Johnson, plus a shutout from goalkeepers Bella Graves and Shaylin Murphy helped the Columbia River girls soccer team grab a 1-0 win over R.A. Long on Thursday in Longview.
The Rapids (8-0-1, 6-0 2A GSHL) posted their fourth shutout in six 2A Greater St. Helens League games and kept pace for first place in the league standings with Ridgefield (7-1, 6-0) ahead of a showdown between the two teams on Oct. 3.
The Lumberjills (6-2, 4-2), who came into Thursday’s contest averaging four goals per game, were shut out for the first time this season.
Stars of the day
- Grady Millar, Mountain View boys golf, shot a 1-under 33 to take medalist honors at Fairway Village in a match against Heritage. The Thunder shot 142 to top the Timberwolves’ 202 score.
- Ethan Kosoris, Mark Morris boys golf, earned medalist honors with a 2-under 35 at Tri-Mountain as part of the Monarchs’ 164 team score to edge Ridgefield’s 178.
- Gracie Jacoby, Prairie volleyball, tallied a team-high 15 assists and seven digs, along with seven kills and one ace, helping the Falcons sweep Evergreen to remain undefeated.
- Kendall Mairs, Camas volleyball, had 15 kills, 13 assists plus five digs and two aces as the Papermakers swept Union 3-0.
- Mia Achziger, La Center volleyball, had 14 digs and 10 service points with three aces in the Wildcats’ 3-0 win over Columbia of White Salmon.
- Lizzy Andrew, Ridgefield volleyball, posted a team-high nine aces, 14 kills and two blocks, helping the Spudders claim a 3-0 sweep over Washougal.
- Ellie Mathison, King’s Way Christian volleyball, tallied 14 kills and eight digs in the Knights’ 3-0 sweep against Castle Rock.
- CJ Moore, Seton Catholic girls soccer, netted four goals in the Cougars’ 6-0 win over Stevenson.
- Mikaela Bright, La Center girls soccer, scored two goals and dished out an assist as the Wildcats posted a 7-1 win against Columbia White-Salmon.
- Abby Dombrow, Hockinson girls soccer, netted a hat trick as part of the Hawks’ 4-1 win over Woodland.
- Tori Lasch, Ridgefield girls soccer, tallied two goals and three assists in a 10-0 win against Washougal.
- Avery Schilling and Maddie Cooke, Union girls soccer, each scored one goal for the Titans to claim a 2-1 win over Skyview.
- Parker Mairs, Camas girls soccer, recorded a hat trick and had two assists in the 6-1 win over Battle Ground.
- Gracelyn Johnson, Camas slowpitch, was 3 for 4 with a home run and four RBI in a 15-7 win against the co-op of Battle Ground/Heritage.
- Aurora Wiley, Columbia River slowpitch, went 4 for 4 with a double, home runs and four RBI and scored three runs in a win over Fort Vancouver.
- Delaney Bollman, Evergreen slowpitch, was 4 for 4 with a double, two home runs and seven RBI plus scored three runs in a win over Mountain View.