<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=192888919167017&amp;ev=PageView&amp;noscript=1">
Monday,  July 15 , 2024

Linkedin Pinterest
News / Life / Clark County Life

This week in Clark County history, June 7

By Katie Bush, public historian at the Clark County Historical Museum
Published: June 7, 2024, 5:24am

A weekly look back compiled by the Clark County Historical Museum from The Columbian archives available at columbian.newspapers.com or at the museum.

  • 100 years ago

A. A. Quarberg and Chat Knight provided nuts and grains for an exhibit in the J. J. Padden Clothing company’s store window on June 5, 1924. The display, which featured many varieties of nuts and grains grown in Clark County, attracted “attention of both visitors and townspeople.” W. H. Mathews, “who does all the window trimmings for Padden’s,” arranged the display.

  • 75 years ago

On June 7, 1949, Vancouver Mayor Vern Anderson cracked down on firecrackers. Anderson expressed concern about the number of bangers let off within city limits, and let local rapscallions know the police would be enforcing the fireworks ordinance. Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Dale Reed also announced limitations on the legal sale of fireworks to toy cap pistols, sparklers and flash crackers.

  • 50 years ago

A 25-day strike at Boise Cascade Corp. ended June 1, 1975, when members of the Association of Western Pulp and Paper workers accepted a two-year contract. The strike affected mills in Vancouver and Wallula, as well as St. Helens and Salem in Oregon. The new contract included a 10 percent pay increase in the first year, and a 10.5 percent increase the second year. Additionally, the new contract also increased health and pension benefits.

  • 25 years ago

On June 2, 1999, Clark College began a three-day celebration of its 65th anniversary. The activities included an alumni reception, dedication and opening celebration of the Art-Drama Building, and more than 50 mini-courses taught by Clark faculty. The college opened in 1933 in the Hidden House on the corner of 19th and Main streets.

Loading...