<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=192888919167017&amp;ev=PageView&amp;noscript=1">
Friday,  July 19 , 2024

Linkedin Pinterest
News / Life / Clark County Life

This week in Clark County history, June 14, 2024

By Katie Bush, public historian at the Clark County Historical Museum
Published: June 14, 2024, 5:34am

100 years ago

On June 10, 1924, Chicago’s L. Carol Dangler demonstrated the electric cooking range and cooking with electricity to housewives of Vancouver. The event took place at the Northwestern Electric Company offices on Main Street. Dangler, a home economist with Portland’s Edison Electric Co., used the demonstration to show the benefits, convenience and cleanliness of electric ranges.

75 years ago

On June 15, 1949, President Harry Truman signed a proclamation naming the 1.2 million acre national forest “at Clark County’s back door” after the first chief of the U. S. Forest Service, Gifford Pinchot. The moniker went into effect immediately, but a formal ceremony was held on Oct. 15.

50 years ago

On June 13, 1974, about 650 members of the Cement Masons Local 555 went on strike, halting several construction projects in Clark County, including two bridge developments associated with Interstate 205. At the same time, about 470 workers, represented by the International Woodworkers of America Local 317, struck at the International Paper Co. plant at Chelatchie Prairie.

25 years ago

On June 12, 1999, city officials and members of the region’s Filipino American community officially dedicated the Alfred Chumasero house, honoring the one-time owner’s ancestry, and his legacy as one of the earliest Filipino Americans to live in Washington. Chumasero moved to Vancouver from Ohio in 1890. A decade after his arrival, he established City Pharmacy, a profitable business in downtown Vancouver. The home he lived in with wife Estelle Smith Chumasero, is listed on national, state, and local historic registers. It is located at 310 W. 11th St.

Loading...