The Columbian Publishing Co
October 10, 1890
Vancouver weekly Columbian began publication. Local printer Tom Carolan publishes the first issue of the Vancouver Columbian. It was established as a Democratic paper to counter the local Republican paper. A few years later, it switched to the Republican party.
October 19, 1908
First issue of The Columbian as a daily newspaper, the first in Clark County.
Publisher A.A. Beard changes publication from weekly to daily. The paper is renamed The Vancouver Daily Columbian.
September 1, 1918
George Hyland became owner and editor of the Columbian taking over from Elmer E Beard, who had been editor for 14 years.
W.H. Homibrook becomes owner and editor.
Herbert J. Campbell buys The Columbian. A Republican, Campbell changed the editorial stance to neutral. Herbert originally published The Columbian in a second floor office at 215 Main Street. It was later moved to a renovated post office building at Fourth and Washington, but soon outgrew that space, too. So, in 1928 Campbell constructed the first building in Clark County specifically designed to house a newspaper. The new facility at Tenth and Broadway was the home of the paper until it moved to the site on West Eighth Street in 1955.
May 28, 1928
Vancouver Columbian issues a 76 page "Progress Edition", containing local history and current industry information.
The Columbian is the first plant in the world, newspaper or otherwise, to install the Model 30 Linotype machines. They are the largest, latest, finest and incidentally, the most expensive linotypes ever built. The Columbian ordered three of them, in addition to one regular machine. The Columbian is the first plant in the world to install the "two in one" models, a super-production machine. Two of the three new linotypes are of this model.
April 13, 1937
The Vancouver Columbian editorially announced that it was inaugurating the use of "Pictures by telegraph" the Associated Press wire picture service.
August 6, 1938
The Columbian of Vancouver ceased publishing on Saturdays.
February 20, 1939
Herbert J. Campbell, publisher of The Columbian was appointed by the new mayor of Vancouver, A.N. Stanley, to succeed John P. Kiggins, who resigned as chairman of the Fort Vancouver Restoration Committee.
May 29, 1941
Driving home from Salem, Herbert Campbell is stricken with a heart attack and dies. His widow, Anna Boyd Campbell, becomes the newspaper's president, a title she carried until 1965. Editor Ray Bachman, a 15-year Columbian veteran, is named publisher.
August 30, 1947
The Sun, a competing paper, is sold to the Campbell family and merged into The Daily Columbian. The newspaper's logo carries the name of both papers for the next 10 years. The Sun was founded in 1906.
November 3, 1954
Mrs. Ann Boyd Campbell turned over the first spadeful of earth inaugurating the construction of the new home of the Vancouver Columbian at West 8th and Grant Streets. Cost of the building, $375,000.
August 22, 1955
The Vancouver Columbian opened for business at its new home at 8th and Grant Streets, Vancouver.
November 2, 1955
The Vancouver Columbian for the first time used its newly installed "photo facsimile machine, plugged into 21,000 miles of leased wire" thus enabling it to illustrate the days news with pictures taken the same day.
October 30, 1956
The Vancouver Columbian devoted much of its regular edition to lists of and detailed descriptions of the industries of Vancouver and Clark County. This is good for reference work.
The Campbells' sons, Don P. and Jack R., become co-publishers. Don handles the business side of the newspaper as General Manager and Co-Publisher, with his younger brother Jack as Editor and Co-Publisher.
Jan. 15, 1968
The Columbian becomes the first newspaper west of the Mississippi River to use the new Goss Metro offset press, now the workhorse of the newspaper industry. The same press still is used to print the newspaper.
Demand for Columbian commercial printing grew rapidly in the '70s and by 1976 an additional press was added.Two years later, The Columbian purchased and remodeled the building just west of the main facility and moved the commercial presses to that location.
Aug. 6, 1972
The Columbian publishes its first Sunday edition.
July 15, 1978
Jack R. Campbell dies of a sudden heart attack at age 49. Don Campbell becomes the sole publisher.
May 18, 1980
Columbian photographer Reid Blackburn is killed as Mount St. Helens erupts and rains chaos throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Don Campbell retires. His son, Scott Campbell, becomes publisher of The Columbian at age 31.
The first Columbian.com website was launched. The site consists of a subscription-request form, a classified-ad form, a list of contacts at the paper and a couple of other items available online.
July 10, 1999
The Columbian publishes its first Saturday edition in 61 years, becoming a seven-day-a-week newspaper for the first time.
The Columbian converts to morning delivery, seven days a week.
The Columbian purchases approximately 6 acres near Esther Short Park, laying the groundwork for developing a new site in the downtown core area.
The Columbian purchases the Camas-Washougal Post-Record, a weekly newspaper headquartered in Camas, Washington
Groundbreaking for The Columbian's new office building.
The Columbian's new building opens its doors for business.
Due to a severe recession and drop in advertising revenue, The Columbian suffers its worst financial year in decades. The company returns to its former location at 701 W. 8th street.