Robber gets 15 years in shootout case

Gunfire spurred by attempt to steal medical marijuana




A gunman who traded shots with his victim was sentenced Thursday to 15 years in prison.

Chuck Slanaker, 30, of Vancouver pleaded guilty to five crimes related to an attempted Nov. 3 medical marijuana robbery and subsequent shooting. They were first-degree burglary, first-degree attempted robbery with a firearm enhancement, second-degree assault, first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm and possession with intent to deliver cocaine.

Deputy Prosecutor Kasey Vu said Slanaker wanted to take advantage of the plea bargain to avoid a far greater punishment had he gone to trial and been convicted on more serious charges, including first-degree assault, a class A felony.

“Mr. Slanaker was looking at a significant sentence of 35 years or so if he had gone to trial and been convicted,” Vu said.

Clark County Superior Court Judge Barbara Johnson imposed the recommended sentence of 15 years.

“You taking responsibility is something I don’t hear often enough,” the judge said after hearing a contrite Slanaker apologize to victim Rickie Landacre, who was seated in the back of the courtroom.

Defense attorney Gregg Schile also called the plea agreement a fair resolution.

The case surfaced early the morning of Nov. 3 at Landacre’s home at 1416 N.E. 131st Ave. in the Fircrest neighborhood. Vu said Landacre, 58, met several women at a bar in Portland and brought them back to his house earlier in the evening. According to court documents, Landacre and one of the women, Sharita Martin, discussed him paying her for sex.

While at Landacre’s house, Martin called Slanaker and told him that Landacre had medical marijuana plants in his house, allegedly triggering a plan to rob him. Martin and one of her friends then left, Vu said.

Martin later drove Slanaker to Landacre’s house. Shortly after 4 a.m., Slanaker came to the door, displayed a gun and pistol-whipped Landacre, according to court documents. Landacre grabbed a nearby handgun and fired back, hitting Slanaker five times. Slanaker returned fire.

Vu said Landacre was shot in the shoulder and hand, and, as a result, lost one of his fingers.

Slanaker was hospitalized for several days as well, but had no obvious injuries in court Thursday.