UPDATE: Cooking fire destroys mobile home in Ridgefield
No one hurt; some of occupant’s belongings saved
Originally published June 29, 2011 at 7:24 p.m., updated June 29, 2011 at 7:24 p.m.
Crews from Clark County Fire & Rescue and Fire District 6 tried to stop flames from engulfing a mobile home Wednesday afternoon in Ridgefield, but the home was destroyed.
About 2:35 p.m., firefighters rushed to Van Ridge Mobile Home Park at 415 N.E. 194th St. Crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the building, according to emergency radio traffic monitored at The Columbian.
They arrived to find the kitchen in flames and a man who lived in the home outside trying to douse the blaze with a garden hose, said Capt. David Greenwood of Clark County Fire & Rescue.
Firefighters went inside with hoses but the older single-wide manufactured home was destroyed. Some of the man’s belongings, however, were saved.
No people or pets were reported injured.
The fire was caused by a problem that arose while the man had been deep-frying chicken, Greenwood said. A dollar estimate for the damage is not yet available.
Firefighters offered to call local Red Cross volunteers to help the man with temporary housing vouchers, but he declined the offer, Greenwood said.