SWAT standoff ends peacefully

Milwaukie, Ore. man was suicidal, police say




On 05-27-11 at approximately 1:50am deputies from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office responded to a residence on the 12500 block of SE 23rd Ave just outside of Milwaukie, OR due to the report of a suicidal subject with a gun. It was reported two shots were fired from a pistol inside the residence.

Upon arrival deputies spoke with the subject's wife who explained her husband had fired two shots from a pistol into the ceiling of the house. She was able to take the pistol away from him and leave the house where she waited for the responding deputies.

The subject remained inside the residence and retrieved a shotgun from somewhere else in the house. Deputies surrounded to house to keep him from leaving and repeatedly made attempts to communicate with him. Deputies were able to talk with the subject briefly at times by calling his cell phone but he was uncooperative.

The subject continued to walk around with the shotgun both inside the house and on the front porch. The subject was reported to be intoxicated by his wife and was drinking beer while on the front porch with the shotgun.

The Clackamas County SWAT Team was called out to respond to the location along with the County's Hostage Negotiation Team (HNT). Supervisors from the Sheriff's Office activated the 911 reverse calling system via 911 dispatch to warn residents in the area and to give them instructions.

A member of the Hostage Negotiation Team, who was on-duty at the time arrived at the scene and spoke with the subject by phone. The negotiator and a patrol deputy on scene were able to successfully reason with the subject and convince him to come outside the house without a weapon. Patrol deputies took the subject into custody without further incident at approximately 3:16am.

This incident was resolved before the SWAT Team arrived. No one was injured during this incident. A canine handler for the Oregon City Police Department responded to assist but the canine was not deployed.

The subject was taken to an area hospital on a police officer hold for a psychological evaluation. The name of the subject will not be released at this time. A report will be completed and sent to the District Attorney's Office for consideration.