TARHOUNA, Libya (AP) — Libyan rebels laying siege to one of Moammar Gadhafi’s remaining strongholds say surrender talks have broken down and that they’re ready to attack.
Rebels control most of Libya and Gadhafi and his staunchest allies have been on the run since the fall of the capital of Tripoli late last month. Loyalists have entrenched themselves in several towns, including besieged Bani Walid.
Thousands of rebel fighters are surrounding Bani Walid, with the closest forces about 10 miles (15 kilometers) from the town center. Rebels say they tried to negotiate a peaceful surrender, but accused Bani Walid tribal leaders of stalling.
A rebel commander, Mohammed al-Fassi, said Sunday that “the negotiations are over.” Rebels have said they will launch their assault later Sunday.