WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) -- Police now say arson is unlikely as the cause of the house fire last August that killed two young boys in Wenatchee.
Investigators have learned that a fire had been smoldering in a chair earlier in the day because of a smoking accident. Residents thought they had put it out. The chair was in the living room where the fire broke out that night.
The fire killed 6-year-old Ricardo Alejandre-Garcia and his 4-year-old year old brother Mariano. The boys' father, Israel Alejandre- Marquez was badly burned but survived.
Police originally suspected a gang-related arson.
Information from: KPQ-AM, http://www.kpq.com/