Candles cause small fire in east Vancouver home

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

Updated: April 5, 2012, 6:34 PM

 

Unattended lit candles caused a small fire midday Thursday in the upstairs room of a home in the First Place neighborhood in east Vancouver.

Vancouver Fire Department Engine 10 responded to a residential fire alarm at 1108 N.E. 151st Ave. around 12:05 p.m., said Kevin Stromberg, a fire department spokesman.

Crews arrived five minutes later and found light smoke coming out of a two-story home, he said. No one was home at the time.

Just as firefighters started to make a forced entry, the homeowner arrived, let firefighters inside and said they had left candles burning in an upstairs bedroom, Stromberg said.

Firefighters took a water cannon inside and doused the flames, which caused an estimated $5,000 in smoke damage.

The flames also burned through a table and ignited part of the carpet.

No one was injured.

“We get candle fires a couple times a year,” he said. “If you light the candles, you have to stay to observe them.”

County property records indicate the home is owned by a Sokha and Connie Mom Chhing.