Boy, 6, injured in barbecue explosion in Oregon

By

Published:

 

HILLSBORO, Ore. — The Washington County sheriff's office says a woman trying to relight some charcoal briquettes at a family cookout in Aloha squirted them with some high-octane fuel used in remote-control toy cars and airplanes.

The barbecue and fuel can exploded Sunday afternoon, injuring her 6-year-old son.

Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue says the boy suffered burns to his hands and face. He's in the intensive care unit at Legacy Emmanuel Medical Center in Portland. He is expected to survive.

The woman's husband sustained minor burns to his hands but did not require hospitalization.