Fire reported at Hazel Dell home

Flames, smoke pour from home

By Craig Brown, Columbian metro editor

Published:

Updated: April 20, 2012, 9:39 PM

 
photoTenant David Lee looks on after fire damaged a rental home he was in the process of moving into at 7400 NW 1st Ave. in West Hazel Dell.

(/The Columbian)

Buy this photo

Tenants moving into a West Hazel Dell rental house were displaced today when boxes placed on a stove caught fire, rendering the house temporarily uninhabitable, a fire official said.

The fire was reported at 5:15 p.m. at 7400 N.W. First Ave., just west of Hazel Dell Avenue. Firefighters, based about 15 blocks away, arrived minutes later to find smoke and flames coming from the street side of the small ranch-style home.

The flames were quickly knocked down. There was fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage in other parts of the house, said Bryan Baum, Fire District 6 shift commander.

Baum said the tenant, David Lee, was in the process of moving into the house and had brought only one load inside when the fire started in boxes placed on top of a stove. A fire marshal’s investigator said the stove probably turned on when a box jostled a control knob, three-bedroom, 975-square-foot house said.

The house was built in 1963, according to county property records. It is owned by a trust controlled by Joseph and Carolyn Grimm of Vancouver. The house and land is assessed at $108,734. A damage estimate was not available.

Baum said the property management company is allowing the tenants to live in another rental nearby until the damaged unit is repaired.

Firefighters from Clark County Fire District 6 and the Vancouver Fire Department responded.