CAIRO (AP) — Egypt’s interim government has canceled the national cup competition, ending all soccer in the country this season.
The Egyptian Football Association says that the Ministry of Interior won’t allow scheduled Egyptian Cup games to be played from April 30 to May 30 because of security concerns.
The EFA says the ministry also wants court proceedings in connection with the deadly Port Said stadium riot to be completed before soccer resumes.
League games were called off last month after 74 people were killed in fan clashes at a game in the Mediterranean city on Feb. 1.
Around 75 suspects are on trial over the violence. The case was postponed until next month after disturbances in court last week.