Fire in kitchen sink gets out of control
Friday, August 31, 2012
A woman attempting to burn personal documents in her kitchen sink started a minor fire in a Truman neighborhood house late Thursday, officials said.
Vancouver firefighters responded shortly before 11 p.m. to a house fire at 4204 N.E. 47th Ave. The fire was contained to the kitchen sink and was under control by 11:03 p.m.
The woman was able to leave the home through the front door but a boy was taken out of a second-story window by firefighters, said Capt. Scott Willis, Vancouver fire spokesman.
The woman was treated by firefighters for minor smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
The woman told a battalion chief on the scene that she was trying to burn personal papers in the sink, Willis said. “It got a little bit out of control.”
The cabinets were blackened from soot and heat, and the house was damaged by smoke.
The house is owned by William and Marianne Winters, according to county property records.