Sunday evening fire causes $40K in damage to duplex

Blaze caused by ceiling fan malfunction

By Dave Kern, Columbian assistant metro editor

Published:

 

A fire Sunday evening in a bathroom at 1909 Columbia St. caused about $40,000 in damage to a duplex unit, authorities said.

Vancouver Fire Department Capt. Scott Willis said the fire was caused by a ceiling fan malfunction.

No one was home when the fire broke out at 4:58 p.m. Firefighters quickly tamed the smoky fire.

There were no injuries.

A neighbor noticed smoke and called 911.

While the fire was contained to the bathroom, there was smoke damage throughout the duplex, Willis said.

About 17 firefighters from Vancouver and Fire District 6 responded.

Willis said there was about $30,000 damage to the structure and $10,000 to contents.