Open forum, Feb. 6 -12

Columbian staff members create new forum threads. Don't see a forum topic here that fits your comments? Email Web Editor Libby Clark, libby.clark@columbian.com, or Social Media Coordinator Matt Wastradowski, matt.wastradowski@columbian.com.

Comments

Clint Eastwood has always been one of my favorite actors.

For those yesterday wondering if Clint Eastwood is R, D or an L..

a surprise for you..

ELISI — February 6, 2012 at 7:56 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Thanks El. I don't know why Kn got so bent out of shape, it was just an offhanded remark, I wasn't really serious. I just like Clint, he's a cool guy. Like I said before, I got to talk to him over a scotch for a half an hour (several years back) and I guess it really stuck with me. He really is larger than life. I enjoyed the Chrysler commercial on the Superbowl that he was in.

hawkeye — February 6, 2012 at 8:26 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkeye, what drew me to him as a teen was his soft voice.
Reminds me of one of my brothers.
Soft spoken man, that goes about his political business and doesn't step in the lime light. Sort of "right hand working and not letting the left hand know" thing. Which IMO we all could learn from.
Most from Hollyweird tend to be rather radical and I shy away from those like that. Ones that have to let the world know what they do are in it for the glory, not for the real purpose.

ELISI — February 6, 2012 at 8:43 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Given his versatility and scope Clint's the man. An American icon no doubt.

But watching my back in a bar fight, nobody could get down and dirty like Bronson!

nailingit — February 6, 2012 at 8:59 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Clint's ad was great for the Dems, and should be great for everybody. Obama gets credit for saving our unique car industry, now GM is #1 in the world.

nailingit — February 6, 2012 at 9:07 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Fun Facts;

The new police cars in Pee Town are Chevrolet Caprice. These are made in Australia on the old Pontiac platform.

Chrysler is owned by Fiat. A good move by them, I think.

Nissan is now owned by Renault, but Renault is not sold in the U.S.

When looking at the serial number on a vehicle, if it starts with a "1"- it was built in the US. If it's a "2"- Canada, if it's a "3"- Mexico.

hawkeye — February 6, 2012 at 9:26 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Bronson is another great actor, but he's more fist, with Eastwood...all he'd have to do is pull a .44 mag and say..."Make my day"

ELISI — February 6, 2012 at 9:30 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Interesting Hawkeye, mine was assembled here in the US.
I'll have to check my husbands truck when he gets home to see where his was.

ELISI — February 6, 2012 at 9:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Eastwood is one of my top three male actors along with Tom Hanks and Gene hackman.. They all have that I can do it attitude.. American Made kinda way...Definitely all free thinkers...

vanwadreamer — February 6, 2012 at 9:46 a.m. ( | suggest removal

~I don't think you got a very good look at this gun while you had it. The balance is perfect. This trigger responds to a pressure of one ounce. If you look carefully in the barrel you'll see the lines of the rifling. It's a rarity in a hand weapon. This gun was handcrafted to my specifications and I rarely draw it unless I mean to use it. Would you care for a demonstration?~

Paladin

nailingit — February 6, 2012 at 12:18 p.m. ( | suggest removal

The Man With No Name rules!!

"In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

Dirty Harry was pretty cool too.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross."

Paul Newman -

“If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.”

Carroll O'Connor -

Archie: Don't bother the U.S.A Government with the Constitution.
Mike: Why? Afraid they're gonna read it?

roger — February 6, 2012 at 5:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Eastwood is a class act all the way around. No two ways about it. I think he may have come into his own as a director even more than as an actor. His tough guy image is unique unto himself but he’s been more versatile in the films that he’s directed.

Way back when, there was a local radio talk show host who asked the callers who they thought had replaced John Wayne as that sort of iconic macho figure. Someone said Bruce Willis, there were some others… but I think it was Eastwood. Albeit a little more gritty. Just like the James Bond films after Roger Moore, got more gritty. One thing about it: James Bond, just like Dirty Harry and Blondie, never killed anyone who wasn’t asking for it.

For my part, I’d put Hanks, Nicholson and Anthony Hopkins up there in the top echelon. Bronson was perfect in the Great Escape, but there were to many other movies he did that I really didn’t like. Same with Hackman. But he was great in Crimson Tide. These guys all share a similar trait, in that whatever movie they’re in, it’s as if the role was written for their own personalities and could not be played by anyone else.

kn_dalai — February 6, 2012 at 6:08 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Don't know if anyone else follows international bike racing -

Alberto Contador was just stripped of his 2010 Tour de France title and his 2011 Giro di Italia one - a drug violation. The article mentions a banned substance that he possibly took in a vitamin pill.

As Eddy Merckx points out - they're killing a great sport by taking so long to render these decisions.

And the French will probably try to prove Lance Armstrong's guilt forever - totally unacceptable that an American is/was the greatest ever.

roger — February 6, 2012 at 6:11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — February 6, 2012 at 6:11 p.m.

Seems that I saw something on the tube the other day that said they couldn't prove anything and they weren't going to go after Lance any longer. Personally I care about bike racing as much as I care about soccer, so it really doesn't matter to me but I hate to see anybody go through the crap that they have put him through.

hawkeye — February 6, 2012 at 7:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

For memorable roles Mr. Walken is one of my all time favorites. From 'At Close Range' to the 'Deer Hunter' to the watch scene in Pulp Fiction it doesn't get any better. Remember the ethnic teachings of Dennis Hopper in True Romance? (Hey Kn_d, sounds a little like one of your plays!)

*Vincenzo Coccotti*(Christopher Walken): Sicilians are great liars. The best in the world. I'm Sicilian. My father was the world heavy-weight champion of Sicilian liars. From growing up with him I learned the pantomime. There are seventeen different things a guy can do when he lies to give himself away. A guys got seventeen pantomimes. A woman's got twenty, but a guy's got seventeen... but, if you know them, like you know your own face, they beat lie detectors all to hell. Now, what we got here is a little game of show and tell. You don't wanna show me nothin', but you're tellin me everything. I know you know where they are, so tell me before I do some damage you won't walk away from.

*Clifford Worley*(Dennis Hopper): I haven't seen Clarence.

*Coccotti*: You see that?
[Holding a clenched fist, then striking Clifford]

*Coccotti*: That smarts, doesn't it? Getting slammed in the nose. F---s you all up. You get that pain shootin' through your brain, your eyes fill up with water. That ain't any kind of fun, but what I have to offer you, that's as good as it's gonna get. And it won't ever get that good again. We talked to your neighbors. They saw a Cadillac. Purple Cadillac. Clarence's purple Cadillac, parked in front of your trailer yesterday. Mr. Worley, you seen your son?

*Coccotti*: You know who I am, Mr. Worley?

*Clifford Worley*: I give up. Who are you?

*Coccotti*: I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you. My name is Vincent Coccotti. I work as counsel for Mr. Blue Lou Boyle, the man your son stole from. I hear you were once a cop so I can assume you've heard of us before. Am I correct?

*Clifford Worley*: I've heard of Blue Lou Boyle.

*Coccotti:* I'm glad. Hopefully that will clear up the "how full of s--t am I?" question you've been asking yourself.

*Coccotti*: Now, what we got here is a little game of show and tell. You don't wanna show me nothing but you're telling me everything.

And it becomes unacceptable print after that...

nailingit — February 6, 2012 at 9:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

And the circus tent gets larger! Check out the trailer!

**'Game Change': Sarah Palin on the verge of a nervous breakdown**

nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 8:29 a.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_d, roger, vanwa, hawk, elisi, debasement.....anyone notice what took place? I believe it's the first time we are in collective agreement. On anything. Clint is the man! In addition I've always respected his multi-faceted musicality.

To look at this project it would seem a loser. I bet after Eastwood gets done it will win some awards.

EXCLUSIVE: Clint Eastwood To Direct Beyoncé In Musical Of ‘A Star Is Born’

nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 8:52 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit, No, I think we all agree on many things.

1. Government isn't doing the job they should, they do not listen to us, fund idiotic programs while allowing the needed ones to die out etc..
2. Taxes needs to be redone
3. Jobs need to be brought back to our soil
4. Federal Reserve needs to audited
5. Educational system is a bust
just to name a few...now I have to go, picking out new carpet and linoleum today. So you guys all play nice.

ELISI — February 7, 2012 at 9:53 a.m. ( | suggest removal

elisi- Yes...and solving worldwide hunger and bringing world peace also. In context...

Clint's at the top in his field, and a great one on the entertainment front.

nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 10:34 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Elsi,
Nice post,I would have to second your post. Just seem to be some debate as how to get there and who will be driving the bus. It can't be our current president as he has shown an inability to bring our elected officials together and he personally hasn't shown any vision as how to get there too. I don't know who that person is yet but just maybe that person can step forward soon with the passion, desire and intellegence to make it happen... I just found that person ME! LOL not really just having fun...

vanwadreamer — February 7, 2012 at 10:46 a.m. ( | suggest removal

You can pretty much tell a person's generation by who they think are good actors. Up until the last ten years, give or take, I think there were some very good, if not excellent actors. The current generation doesn't give a damn about how good an actor is. It's only about how much action the movie contains. Blood, guts, lights, mayhem, loud music, etc. Everything you could want in a movie except acting. It reminds me of rap music. Actually it's not music. It proves that you don't have to be a good singer to sell cd's. Same goes for movies. All you need is a good marketing program and a lot of ignorant buyers. The newer generations will pay dearly to see a movie even when good acting isn't part of it. Most of the newer actors wouldn't make a pimple on a good actor's butt. I'm afraid the days of the Eastwoods, Newmans, Bogarts, Waynes, Hepburns, etc. are gone. I hope not. Future generations will be missing a lot if they do dissapear.

cranky — February 7, 2012 at 11:22 a.m. ( | suggest removal

> kn_d, roger, vanwa, hawk, elisi, debasement.....anyone notice what took place? I believe it's the first time we are in collective agreement. nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 8:52 a.m.

Cool. (But professor...don't use that word "collective", AHHH! You know I can't stand that word.) How about...thinking similarly.

> Elsi, Nice post,I would have to second your post. Just seem to be some debate as how to get there and who will be driving the bus. vanwadreamer — February 7, 2012 at 10:46 a.m.

Vanwadramer: well there it is. No one can disagree with your sentiments, but the devil is in the details. In more ways than one. For my part, I believe in Adam Smiths *Invisible Hand*, which is quite different than Marx’s *Workers of the World Unite!*. Maybe Greece needs some more of the former and less of the latter. As do we all. But there’s that politics thing.

> cranky — February 7, 2012 at 11:22 a.m.

Cranky: Yep. But then again, quite likely the newer people will be saying the same thing about their own younger days, 50 years from now. Yet, for my part I agree with you. As an example, Liam Neeson was most excellent in Schindler’s List and also Batman Begins. As I recall (and I will not take the effort to look this up) he was much disgusted with his role in whatever Star Wars episode he appeared in, in that he was more or less, directed to stand here and stand there, and the rest was done by computer graphics. As I recall, he said that he never wanted to do that kind of thing again. We may be on the same page, in that, I don’t care for the Hollywood formula thing of, mindless mayhem, carnage and the coursening of the culture and of the human spirit. In all its various forms and for whatever reason.

kn_dalai — February 7, 2012 at 1:12 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Elisi, nice post. I agree.

vanwa, I think you are going to be disappointed next election. **"our current president as he has shown an inability to bring our elected officials together"** Sorry to tell you this but, it takes two or more to work together, he can't do it all by himself nor should he.

cranky, agree with you on "rap". Just add the "C" and there you have it. Yesterday, I caught the movie "Salt" on the tube, I have to say, Angelina's got skills.

kn_d, never been a Neeson fan,

hawkeye — February 7, 2012 at 1:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal

> hawkeye — February 7, 2012 at 1:44 p.m.

Well, I’ve never been a big fan of Joe Eszterhas, so I guess that makes us even.

No doubt you’re a big fan of Smokey and the Bandit, and the Dukes of Hazard.

kn_dalai — February 7, 2012 at 2:05 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk,
While I may be disappointed I will not be the only ones as the current way were heading will undoubtably continue out of control. The debt is expected to almost double by the ened of his next term if he gets elected. How can we sustain such out of control spending. Oh thats right tax the rich and that will help by almost 1.5% but thats a start.Really it takes two to tangle.. I didn't know that but isn't that where babies come from...LOL But our president doesn't believe that either..LOL

I bet your your also a fan of daffy duck,get smart although I liked that one too and rowan and Martins laugh in.. OK I'll throw in HEE Haw also...

vanwadreamer — February 7, 2012 at 2:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal

ELISI — February 7, 2012 at 9:53 a.m.

Two thumbs up on your comment.

Fortunately we also disagree on a lot. This place would be boring and a lot less educational for all if we agreed on everything.

roger — February 7, 2012 at 4:54 p.m. ( | suggest removal

cranky — February 7, 2012 at 11:22 a.m.

And I was going to suggest that if Dirty Harry and John Shaft had teamed up, we'd have seen some of the best butt kicking, snot-nosed gangster beating, badass good guys ever.

But you're correct - this would glorify the bloody mayhem that led to our kids thinking Grand Theft Auto and crap like that is OK.

But seeing as how you're going to back us up a generation (Bogart, Hepburn, Wayne), maybe we need to add Edward G. Robinson to the roster we've created. And I kind of recall a Sinatra movie or two that were pretty good.

roger — February 7, 2012 at 5:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwadreamer — February 7, 2012 at 2:37 p.m.,

"Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit...."

I learned to like opera (a little bit, anyhow) because of Bugs.

roger — February 7, 2012 at 5:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

The 9th Circuit Court overturned CA's Prop 8 that made marriage a 1-man 1 woman union a part of their state constitution.

On the one hand, a primary function of the courts is to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority (I believe that's the phrase we were all taught). On the other hand - is this the Federal gov't improperly getting involved in something that falls under the Constitutional authority of the state?

It'll be interesting to see how our conservative dominated Supreme Court handles this one.

roger — February 7, 2012 at 5:26 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I've been thinking about the Komen/Planned Parenthood flap for a few days.

To be frank, I think Komen Foundation was correct the first time around. They are, or were, a pretty much nonpolitical organization dedicated to fighting breast cancer - pure and simple. And I've always been happy to add a couple of bucks to my Safeway grocery bill over the years to this very worthy organization.

Planned Parenthood, on the other hand, has always been mired in the politics of womens' issues. As a person who doesn't believe in unrestricted abortion, I haven't been a fan.

Yes - this funding support was supposed to be for breast exams - not abortion. But are we positive this is adhered to? Groups like P.P. have frequently adhered to the philosophy that the ends justify the means. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn Komen's donations were diverted.

Whatever. The pro-Choice crowd mobilized immediately and the Komen Foundation caved. I'm wondering what the backlash will be - if any - from the anti-abortion crowd who've supported them. I guess we'll see this coming September. Either way, I find it sad that Komen is now involved in political issues.

roger — February 7, 2012 at 6:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_d

Nope, never cared for Smokey and the bandit, Smokey Robinson- yes. Dukes of Hazard, no. Daisy Duke- yes.

vanwa, "Really it takes two to tangle.. I didn't know that" Somehow, I did know that.

Roger, the whole Komen/Planned parenthood thing. That should be between them and not us.

hawkeye — February 7, 2012 at 7:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

**Transpartisan Politics on the Plains**

Nebraska’s pipeline uprising has heightened the level of conversation about clean government and the role of corporate money to a near fever pitch, becoming an issue large enough to motivate Republicans at the grassroots to make friends with liberals and “tree huggers.”

nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 9:45 p.m. ( | suggest removal

**Ron Paul, Take Two**

One thing Glenn and I agree on: Obama’s ban on torture aside, he has been a huge disappointment to anyone who was hoping that his election would mean an end to the violation of the civil liberties, due-process rights and human rights of detainees in the “war on terror.”

nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 9:54 p.m. ( | suggest removal

**Gingrich: GOP establishment cheap version of Democratic establishment**

"Our elites are now so defeated, so cynical, so lacking in ambition that when I say let's have a bold program, it’s met with derision." Gingrich said.

"Why did my two Republican competitors instinctively decide we couldn’t go into space? Because they're cheap," Gingrich said,

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2012/02/07/gingrich-gop-establishment-cheap-version-democratic-establishment#ixzz1llhKH1SE

nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 10:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_d- *... that word "collective", AHHH!*

Resistance is futile. You have been over powered with reality. Environmental conditions require re-enlightenment of previous teachings.

**Interpreting Adam Smith**

Vivienne Brown has alleged that in the 20th century USA, Reaganomics supporters, The Wall Street Journal and other similar sources, have spread among the general public, a partial and misleading vision of Adam Smith, portrayed as an "extreme dogmatic defender of laissez-faire capitalism and supply-side economics".

According to Brown and Pack, Smith's position was very close to what is currently perceived in the USA as a **"liberal democrat."** In The Wealth of Nations Smith advocates government economic intervention with the allocation of many economic functions, they say. In this analysis, Smith instead attacked the corrupted favoritism made by the governments in favor of the rich and powerful and against the poor.

Matthew Watson has proposed what he sees as the true meaning of Smith works, espcially with regards to the phrase "Invisible Hand". (Watson, M, 2005, Foundations of International Political Economy,Basingtoke: Palgrave, pp.100-119)

David Ricardo and Karl Marx were influenced by economic theories of Adam Smith. Smith was ranked #30 in Michael H. Hart's list of the most influential figures in history.

nailingit — February 7, 2012 at 11:19 p.m. ( | suggest removal

**MITTASTROPHE!!!**

**Romney Suffers Major Blow... Loses 2 States He Won In 2008... Loses Every County In Missouri... Finishes Third In Minnesota!!!

Santorum Sweeps... 'Conservatism Is Alive And Well Tonight'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

**Barack Obama tweets "watt de hell!? LOL!"**

**nailingit quoted as saying THANK YOU GOD!**

**God tweets ROTFLMAO!**

**LIVE UPDATES!**

nailingit — February 8, 2012 at 7:53 a.m. ( | suggest removal

**"It was far from clear, though, that Santorum would be able to turn his momentum into the millions of dollars he would need to overtake Romney. But in the hours after his victory, Santorum said he's finally being heard and supported by conservatives who want a clear contrast to President Barack Obama."**

It was just enough to tick Willard off. Now he's going to spend even more money trying to convince people he's the one. I wonder where the balance point is. That's the point where no matter how much you spend, people just won't believe the BS.

hawkeye — February 8, 2012 at 9:39 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I agree with your comments about Smokey and Duke @ 7:57 p.m., Hawkeye:)

Thanks for putting a smile on my face Roger. I love that Bugs cartoon. Another big:)

Interesting, Nail @ 11:19 p.m. , but I’m afraid I stilll have to go with that invisible hand thing, over that socialist thingy. And it’s a little hard for me to see how Smith’s ideas about self interest, promoting the public good, is seen as reflective of today’s liberal Democrat, in this country.

I must say Mr. Nails, that you have really been quite selective in the passages you have chosen to quote. A critical reading of that article reveals some good points and counterpoints, but much of it is opinion about how to, as your headline stated, interpret Smith.

Oh, and by the way, you will note that Gates has voluntarily committed himself to philanthropy. A very commendable action. Once again, you will note (no, probably not) the difference between voluntary and mandatory.

I’ve always suspected that you were Borg, nailingit. But don’t forget about how Hugh was able to break away from the collective. Maybe you should try to emulate him. Or maybe you should…nah…something tells me you’re not as pretty as seven of nine. Better stick with Hugh. And don’t forget how the collective EVENTUALLY COLLAPSED.

On another entirely, entirely different subject:), just what’s going on over there in Greece anyway? What do they mean when they say “painful austerity cuts” and the like? And what’s this about Greece bondholders taking a big haircut? Are all of them long-haired hippies or what? One might wonder if the European’s are blaming their various countries’ deficit problems on their governments’ level of military spending. No…I don’t think so. Maybe there’s some other reason.

kn_dalai — February 8, 2012 at 12:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

RE: the Greek thing. '

So one day it’s the, troika, will bail them out. Then…maybe not. Then …well, sure. Then…

It really hardly matters.

Even if they get their next tranche of troika money, so what?

The Greece socialists, in all of their various forms, will put the nix on any kind of further austerity. Strikes. Shut down the government. And on. But the money just isn’t there. At some point, that has to be the end of it. As long as they’re in the Euro, they can’t print their own money way out of it. It may take a while, but my thinking is that they will eventually exit the EC. In the mean time, their credit worthiness is destroyed. Certainly not the end of the world, but a forced return to soundness. There is likely to be a reevaluation by the rest of the EC folks about their own welfare state politics. Nah… It will have to be closer to home for that to happen.

In this country: it’s halftime in America.

kn_dalai — February 8, 2012 at 4:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

ELISI — February 8, 2012 at 2:23 p.m.

I thought this article was more of the silly paranoia people like Jesse Ventura put out. Until I got to page 2 and read the following:

"The FAA has issued hundreds of certificates to police and other government agencies, and a handful to research institutions to allow them to fly drones of various kinds over the United States for particular missions."

"The agency said it issued 313 certificates in 2011 and 295 of them were still active at the end of the year, but the FAA refuses to disclose which agencies have the certificates and what their purposes are."

Maybe we do need to know more about this.

roger — February 8, 2012 at 4:32 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Roger, there's many things going on behind our back we are not aware of that our government does and keeps silent about.
One just has to look around bit and never know what you might dig up.

Like that one, here's is something else..

ELISI — February 8, 2012 at 4:54 p.m. ( | suggest removal

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans are looking to deny child tax credits to illegal immigrants — refund checks averaging $1,800 — in an effort that has roused anger among Hispanics and some Democratic lawmakers.

The proposal, which would require people who claim the federal credit to have Social Security numbers to prove they're legal workers, is being offered as a way to help pay for extending the Social Security tax cut for most American wage-earners. It would trim federal spending by about $10 billion over a decade.

***OK, riddle me this, if they are illegal, how the frack can they file for a tax refund in the first place?***

hawkeye — February 8, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkeye also ask how the frack they get welfare and food stamps, healthcare, housing.. etc etc etc...

ELISI — February 8, 2012 at 5:53 p.m. ( | suggest removal

ELISI, that's what I'm saying.....

hawkeye — February 8, 2012 at 6:02 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkeye, I understand there are property owners who don't care who rents from them, but..the trouble that my son's friends have gone through, what they have to do to rent an apartment or house is unbelievable. It's almost like buying. So I'd like to know how in the world do these illegals get homes to rent?
You know as well as I do that there are plenty here in CC that rent homes or apartment that are illegal.
Ton's in doctor offices, er's, and urgency clinics too all using coupons from welfare and a translator.
I came across one at a local grocery store with WIC coupons and card for welfare. She bought 15 gal of milk..the clerk said she buys that amount of milk then in a couple weeks returns most of it saying it is spoiled and gets new gals or re-credited for them.

ELISI — February 8, 2012 at 6:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_d- *I must say Mr. Nails, that you have really been quite selective in the passages you have chosen to quote.*

Yes. I thought it best for common ground, of which we share much. (: U liberal democrat :) More importantly, I wanted to highlight the bridge from nowhere. The Intangible Chasm that can be both chaotic and instructive. The gap. The Hollow. The entities who weave our societal infrastructure.

You and I. Our neighbors and friends. The majority of most, the minority of beasts. Among many things, Smith was one of the first to advocate for progressive taxation (to the point of proportionality!!!) and the establishment of public education.

I believe Adam Smith espoused economical fairness above all.

His economic theories seemed to rest in fair pay, free trade and a sympathetic private sector. To be honest it's hard to see where I disagree with Smith. But let's get real. He was a quirky lifetime scholar who ascribed to insular living, rather than dealing in the marketplace if I'm not mistaken. How would he feel in today's corporate world with Citizen's United in effect? A world in which greed trumps sympathy.

nailingit — February 8, 2012 at 7:12 p.m. ( | suggest removal

hawk-elisi- This tells the tale.

**SHORT HISTORY OF SNAP POLICY ON NON-CITIZENS**

Prior to the 1996 welfare reform legislation under the Personal Responsibility and Work
Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA), most non-citizens lawfully residing in the United
States were eligible for SNAP benefits on the same basis as citizens. With the enactment of
PRWORA, most lawfully present non-citizens lost eligibility even if they had been in the
country when the law was passed on August 22, 1996. As a result, PRWORA had, and
continues to have, a significant impact on the requirements and policy concerning non-citizen
eligibility for SNAP benefits. In 1998, Congress began restoring eligibility to some non-citizens
who were in the United States before August 22, 1996, including certain elderly, children, the
disabled, and to certain non-citizens who were members
of Hmong or Highland Laotian tribes that rendered
assistance to the United States during the Vietnam era.

Full restoration of SNAP eligibility to certain non-
citizens was a top priority under The Farm Security and
Rural Investment Act of 2002, Public Law 107-171,
commonly referred to as the 2002 Farm Bill. The 2002
Farm Bill broadly restored SNAP eligibility to most
lawfully present non-citizens, including individuals who
resided in the United States for five years, children under
18, and individuals receiving disability-related assistance
or benefits.

Due to the 2002 Farm Bill restorations, many non-citizens, from working-poor families and their
children, to elderly lawfully residing in the U.S. and 65 or older on August 22, 1996 and the
disabled, once again had access to nutrition assistance through SNAP. In April 2003, qualified
aliens who had lived in the U.S. for five years regained eligibility, and in October 2003,
eligibility was restored to all qualified alien children without a waiting period. As a result, in
2004, approximately one million non-citizens became eligible for SNAP benefits.

On January 29, 2010, the final rules implementing the 2002 Farm Bill1 established new
eligibility and certification requirements for the receipt of SNAP benefits. The 2008 Farm Bill
then changed the name of the program from the Food Stamp Program to SNAP. All of these
changes presented important reasons for this update of FNS’s 2003 Guidance.

continued...

nailingit — February 8, 2012 at 9:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

continued...

In remarks made at Ellis Island in
July 2001, President George W.
Bush said, “Immigration is not a
problem to be solved. It is a sign
of a confident and successful
nation. And people who seek to
make America their
home…should be greeted not
with suspicion and resentment,
but with openness and courtesy.”

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food Stamp Program: Eligibility and Certification Provisions of the
Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002, 75 FR 4912 (January 29, 2010).

---

Also notable...

The following terms are commonly more formally defined as:
Alien – any person not a citizen or national of the United States. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA),
§101.
Immigrant – every alien except an alien who is within one of the classes of nonimmigrant aliens set forth
in the INA, §101(a)(15).
Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) – any person with the status of having been lawfully accorded the
privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws,
such status not having changed. INA §101. LPRs are granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a ―green
card,‖ as proof of having the status of LPR.
Qualified Alien – an individual who meets the specific definition of ―qualified alien‖ found at 7 CFR
273.4(a)(5)(i), which includes lawful permanent residents, asylees, refugees, parolees, individuals granted
withholding of deportation or removal, conditional entrants, Cuban or Haitian entrants, battered aliens, and alien
victims of a severe form of trafficking. See also PRWORA, 8 U.S.C. § 1641. The term qualified alien is not itself
an immigration status, but includes a collection of immigration statuses. It is a term used for Federal public benefits
purposes.

nailingit — February 8, 2012 at 10:06 p.m. ( | suggest removal

It doesn't get any better...idiocy defining idiots! The tune, defining loonies!

**Oklahoma Dem: Life Begins At Ejaculation**

However, any action in which a man ejaculates or otherwise deposits semen anywhere but in a woman’s vagina shall be interpreted and construed as an action against an unborn child.

Finally! Someone has the courage to introduce language that is just honest about the outright contempt for women driving Republican politics these days.

Johnson later voluntarily withdrew her amendment, but not without letting colleagues know it was the sexism behind the push for personhood that motivated the amendment.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/oklahoma-dem-life-begins-at-ejaculation.html#ixzz1lrYo3Wm0

nailingit — February 8, 2012 at 10:25 p.m. ( | suggest removal

elisi-roger- This news sure falls into the "What the hell???" category. Looks like a domestic "Independence Day" could be on the horizon.

WASHINGTON, Feb. 8 (UPI) -- Thousands of tiny unmanned aircraft or drones flying into civilian airspace over the United States can pose a security threat as they may be difficult to monitor in the long run and some craft may fall into enemy hands, security analysts say.

Mav6 Blue Devil 2 airship has been designed to run pilotless or to have a pilot on board when required. The aerospace company, which has headquarters in Vicksburg, Miss., has designed the Blue Devil 2 airship to accommodate a pilot when necessary.

The 370-foot airship can hover at 20,000 feet for five days and function as a network hub for drones and ground sensors and as a surveillance craft.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2012/02/08/Drones-over-US-may-pose-security-risks/UPI-86341328740671/#ixzz1lrd7Es76

nailingit — February 8, 2012 at 10:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal

ELISI-
that link was a great read. I always figured the government's unemployment numbers, kinda like the EPA mileage ratings, were bogus.

Another number I've kept my eye out for is some comparision between the wages of the jobs being "created" these days versus those lost. I think that'd be an eye-opener.

As the consuming class in this country continues to be depleted, it follows consumption will continue to fall. Because 70% of our economy **was** based on consumption, I believe the China's economy will replace ours as the world's largest prior to 2016 as projected.

We don't have long to get ready for the new normal. But Clint's commercial, encouraging us to believe we will rise from the ashes, is just like his movies. Nice to watch, but really it's make-believe from Hollywood.

mrd — February 9, 2012 at 7:29 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Wow! I guess I'm not too surprised that some "independents" would fall for the ridiculously skewed and bias article (@ 4:54) that is lauded. :)

How many times does one have to read the term "Obamunism" before it sinks in!

I'm thinking there's a whole lot more going on than just disagreeing with our President's policies.

Another bias hack job from Forbes. Hey...maybe Willard will lend some clarity!

Bush sure did his last year in office.

nailingit — February 9, 2012 at 7:52 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I don't know why people keep calling UAVs drones. When I was in the Navy "drone" was practically synonymous with "target."

My RC aircraft are UAVs. I suppose a Frisbee could be called a drone. A drone is set on a predetermined path and launched. There's no controlling it once it's air borne.

Heres' a time line of UAVs.

And why are folks getting all wound up about surveillance? Enter your address into Google. This summer, pay attention to the sky over your head. The next time you're at a roadway intersection notice the camera above the signal light...

Drift — February 9, 2012 at 7:54 a.m. ( | suggest removal

mrd,

I think the Eastwood commercial was meant to be encouraging as well as a warning.
We are at a half time here in America, it's really, IMO the time we as the people either rally together and bring this country back or we sit on our backsides whining and let China become #1.

I don't know about you, but I want to see America prosper, I want to see families in homes, working, enough food to eat, a good education for the kids. I want to see smiles back on peoples faces. I want to be able to watch and celebrate 4th of July celebration that really means INDEPENDENCE. I want food supply grown here on our soil, not some foreign country and shipped here. We are losing our identity, losing what made us a great nation...

ELISI — February 9, 2012 at 8:36 a.m. ( | suggest removal

A great take on Clint's commercial. The recent musings @FOX NEWS are astonishing. FOX continues to expose itself for what it is, and who & what they serve.....

What church did Jim Jones lead? :)

Since Fox can’t pin the ad on the White House, but they need to kill the very popular message of the ad, Gretchen went paranoid with claims of subliminal messages. Karl Rove previously tried to go after Republican Clint Eastwood for daring to make a pro-America ad, but Clint told them to make his day and since there isn’t much they can do to Clint, they moved on to greener pastures of subliminal messages and tin foil.

Republicans wanted to kill the auto industry. They told us all that union labor was too entitled and they needed to learn a lesson. They told us this as they fed billions to Wall Street and banks.

The Chrysler ad was pro-America. The fact that Fox and Republicans are offended by the ad says more about how they view this country and the extent to which they want to see it fail, and do not see themselves as a part of it, than it does about Chrysler, Clint Eastwood, the advertising company, or the White House.

Please read more @

nailingit — February 9, 2012 at 9:43 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Special thanks to Mary Wallace on the FB side:

Republicans have introduced 44 bills on abortion, 99 on religion, 71 on family relationships, 36 on marriage, 67 on firearms/gun control, 522 on taxation, 445 on ‘government investigations,’ and zero on job creation." Daily Kos

hawkeye — February 9, 2012 at 9:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nail,

I saw Clint interviewed about the commercial, they tried to tie him to the President and the Democratic party and he essentially said, they had nothing to do with it but if the President wanted to tag onto it, he was welcome to. He also seemed a little pissed that he was actually asked the question.

hawkeye — February 9, 2012 at 9:59 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Great article, nailingit. I especially enjoyed this part:

Fox knows we feel good about this, and they can’t have us feeling good because that might mean we were united, and if we were united while a Democrat was in office, well, that would be bad for them. So, like the spoiled little children they are, they want to ruin everyone’s moment of unity and happiness, kill the spirit of “yes we can” and make sure gloom and doom dominate.

Republicans are so petty that they cannot enjoy the success of a huge American business. They can’t stand to see the President getting even implied credit for work he actually did. They demand that no one give him credit or even suggest (subliminally!) that Obama made the right choice, let alone that things might get better for Americans soon.

Advertising agencies do not slip subliminal political messages into their ads. The client approves everything from the script to the talent to the final cut, so the claim that the ad agency has an Obama supporter in it (unproven) is moot to boot.

Does Chrysler love America? Maybe. Maybe that was the point of their ad. It sure seemed like it to me. The ad was meant to say, hey, America, thank you for pulling together, look what we did, and guess what, your second half is about to begin!

The Chrysler ad was full of hope and American spirit. It should tell us all we need to know that Republicans and Fox News are so outraged by it.

hawkeye — February 9, 2012 at 10:15 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit and hawkeye,

Why must everything be a "R or D thing"?

Is this not OUR country? Is this not OUR Nation?
Is not the problems in our nation OUR problems?

Division is exactly why we are in the mess we are today.
This daily ridicule of which ever party of the day is driving the wedge even deeper. The problems can not be heaped on 1 party over the other, both are guilty of getting us in the mess we face today.

Don't like the way the media reports the news, then for heavens sake stand up and do something about it! Call them let them know or email them. If no one stands up and calls the media, politicians on the carpet nothing will change!

nailingit, you must watch Fox news religiously since you seem to know more of what they say then them or anyone else. But yet you sit and complain about others watching them. You remind me of kids when mine were in grade school,..if they wanted to make fun of another kid they always said their parents shop at K Mart, that they knew cause they saw them there. Well...if those kids saw the other kid and his/her parents there that means they were also!
Makes no sense to me to cause division, working together is what it takes to get the job done. Right now OUR country needs us all to pull together and work to make this country prosperous once again. As Clint said.."It's half time America"
Do or Die time..

ELISI — February 9, 2012 at 1:12 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hi, basement dwellers. I had a quick question for some of you.

A few of you have commented about Facebook comments and how clicking the "View # More" link on comments doesn't do the trick. When you click, nothing happens, and no additional comments appear.

We're trying to get to the bottom of it, so would any users who notice this mind e-mailing me? I'd like to know which browser you use and what operating system (Windows, Mac, etc) you're running. My e-mail address is [matt.wastradowski@columbian.com][1].

Thanks!
Matt

[1]: mailto:matt.wastradowski@columbian.com

Matt Wastradowski — February 9, 2012 at 2:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hello, have not posted in a while but want to chime in on Eastwood commercial.
First off, I have to admit that I never could stomach the Dirty Harry movies and his Westerns. I always thought it was bad writing, bad acting, bad all around. Never could understand what people saw in him. However!!!! As he got older and started to act in a different kind of movie, and then his directing, I gained a lot of respect for the man,and now I think he is fabulous.
I then saw the commercial (only part of the whole game thingy I happen to catch)and I was totally in awe. They could not have picked a better spokesperson. As somebody with a background in marketing, I consider this to be a total winner. Was it political? Not really. Did it take sides? Nope. It did equate Detroit with the rest of the nation and all its woes, and it promised hope. It played on the "We are America and we will survive" theme. Now who better than Clint? And how in the world can Rove be offended by it? How can both sides claim Mr. Eastwood? He made an ad to sell cars. He followed a great script, delivered it in just the right way and done. So, I agree with Elisi, it is not all D or R. How about we take it in the spirit it was meant? Good message for the times we are in. Beats the usual gloom and doom for sure.

luvithere — February 9, 2012 at 4:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Matt, since you asked I went and opened as many stories as I could that had over 6 comments to see how it was working. Sadly, it was all over the place. Some opened up the "view # more" and some didn't. Examples: Lou's Press Talk comments opened them up, John's Sunday opinion didn't. "Boldt's wife resigns..." works, "Vancouver's Former Payette Clinic..." didn't. I'm on Windows Vista using Firefox but as I said when I first asked about this I've tried it in Opera and IE as well with little success. I should also say that on rare occasions this will happen to me reading comments at USA Today and LA Times, much more rare at these sites than here. I've more or less given up, if the comments won't expand under my preferred chronological order I back out, go back in and read them under Social Ranking. Wish you and your techs best of luck trying to fix this. Couple things have crossed my mind but I have no idea how to check them. First, when you force your "play nice" comment to stay as the first comment does that have an impact? Second, if you have to delete comments does that have an impact?

dfsadfh — February 9, 2012 at 4:26 p.m. ( | suggest removal

dfsadfh, I am sorry to hear of the ongoing problems. I thought it was a hiccup for a spell, but the problems continue. It's really unfortunate and frustrating. We're working on it. Thanks for all your feedback -- it really does help.

We'd thought that switching among social/chronological/reverse chronological might work, but that didn't make a difference for some folks around the office.

And I do think the "play nice" comment does have an impact. Some people using Facebook don't realize we have the guidelines, so it's a good reminder. And they know that someone's in there to try and keep the peace on sensitive stories. It doesn't always work, but for the most part, it serves its purpose.

As for deleting comments, it varies. I think it helps most of the time. Not every time! But for the most part, I think it succeeds in keeping the attacks/swearing/insults from snowballing.

Matt Wastradowski — February 9, 2012 at 5:08 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Ned "Scotty" Scott: *Watch the skies, everywhere! Keep looking. Keep watching the skies!*

nailingit — February 9, 2012 at 5:26 p.m. ( | suggest removal

*nailingit, you must watch Fox news religiously* Only on Sundays!

**CPAC welcomes white nationalists**
Three noted white supremacy enthusiasts to host anti-diversity panel at conservative conference

CPAC is here, so it’s time for everyone’s annual look at the psychos invited to the premier conservative event of the year, and those unfortunate enough to have been excluded.

GOProud, the gay Republican group that was founded because the Log Cabin Republicans were considered too concerned about gay civil rights and not sufficiently focused on “fiscal issues,” is not invited this year, because they are too “aggressive” about being gay, which made Jim DeMint uncomfortable.

CPAC also uninvited the John Birch Society, which had made a triumphant return to mainstream conservative acceptance in 2010, when they co-sponsored the conference.

But! While the Birchers and the open homosexualists are no longer welcome, there is still room for multiple outspoken white nationalists!

*Why must everything be a "R or D thing"?* LOL!

nailingit — February 9, 2012 at 5:47 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Rachel Maddow is showing Pres Obama's speech about going after those who bundled/rebundled subprime mortgages and were largely responsible for the crash in 2007. He says we're going after those who broke the law and will prosecute to the fullest.

This is one of those WTF moments.

The bond traders who did this made lots of money in the beginning because no one knew what they were doing - buying subprime mortgages, regrouping and upgrading whole batches, and reselling them to other investors. Once the sharpies in the banks caught on, the practice spread. Then, later the money was made by those smart enough to read the cards and gamble that the loans would start failing in record numbers once the interest rates climbed.

The reason respectable firms could and did engage in this was because there were no laws against it. So just where is our Pres coming from with this latest issue of the day of his?

roger — February 9, 2012 at 6:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal

A highly educated successful openly gay woman doesn't stand a chance with these right wing conservative bigots. For shame. Shame shame shame. Here's some red meat for a few that post here, a reminder of how not to think or act for others.

Listen to the roars of the audience cheering the hateful comments of this FoxNewsWatch bigot.

~Forgive them father, for they know not what they do~ Jesus Christ

**Cal Thomas: Rachel Maddow 'Best Argument' For Contraception (VIDEO)**

nailingit — February 9, 2012 at 6:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger- I hear what you're saying. But I have a feeling when the rocks start turning over there will be all kinds of parasites attached. Check this out for a slant...

The FBI and Justice Department had little success in prosecuting mortgage executives after launching investigations in 2008. But there has been increasing pressure, from groups including labor unions and Occupy Wall Street, to find culprits for the devastating housing crash that triggered the financial crisis.

Subprime lenders have long been in the cross hairs.

They issued hundreds of billions of dollars in mortgages to people with shaky credit, then bundled the loans for sale to investors as highly rated securities. When the borrowers couldn’t pay their mortgages, the investments collapsed — leaving investors and lenders saddled with toxic debt.

Lawsuits in state and federal courts have charged that WMC and GE misled investors and other parties in the sale of mortgages and mortgage-backed securities.

An investor lawsuit in federal court, for example, said that a $550-million pool of mortgages originated by WMC and another subprime lender, EquiFirst Corp., included numerous examples of fraud. The lawsuit said a review found inflated borrower incomes and other “material breaches” in 75 percent of the loan files sampled.

Read more...

---

Then you could nail them with the discriminatory hammer!

nailingit — February 9, 2012 at 7:22 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Matt, I'm not sure that you understood my comments on "play nice" and deleting posts. What I am trying to get at is if you insert a "play nice" as the first comment (which totally destroys any kind of count, social ranking or either side of chronological) does that action screw up the "view # more" options? Similarly, if you end up deleting a comment that has had comments attached does that screw up the "view # more"?

dfsadfh — February 9, 2012 at 8:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 9, 2012 at 6:49 p.m.,

"A highly educated successful openly gay woman doesn't stand a chance with these right wing conservative bigots."

Greta Van Sustren attempted damage control for FOX; I gather they knew Thomas went too far. And I'm sure Rachel is going to have a good time responding.

What I'm liking is Ellen DeGeneres' response to the group who say they'll boycott JC Penny for using her as a spokesperson. She's got a subdued sarcasm that allows her to cut your heart out and you don't even realize it until too late. She applied this to the max in the interview I saw the other day - what a pro!

roger — February 10, 2012 at 6:20 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Does anyone know what happened Thursday around 11:30 to noon on the I-205 bridge south?

I was coming back north and the traffic was backed up southbound from the island to as far as I could see when I exited off on Mill Plain.

Plus whats going on now the helicopters have been circling all over for more than an half hr. Too dark to tell if it's just a news copter. The blade sound tells me it's not military so..

ELISI — February 10, 2012 at 6:28 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger- I saw Ellen also. Class act! Rachel is another class act. Here is her response. Brief, funny and stays on topic. The topic was the hypocrisy the R's put on the table. From being for a personal mandate to the stimulus to the bank bail out and more. Obama gets huge feedback from his base when he strays. The Republican base just seems to march glassy eyed and will go along with whatever the message is that day. They don't seem to care about the extreme inconsistencies with their policies or leaders.

Could be much of the reason they are in such disarray.

“Mr. Fox News person speaking there — I’m sorry that you feel that way about me, that you wish I had never been born,” she said. “Personally, I’m glad that you were born. Otherwise, how would Republicans get the special Fox News bat signal that it’s time to be outraged now about what used to be Republicans’ own policy idea?”

This clip from last night sums up republican inconsistencies quite well!

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 8:22 a.m. ( | suggest removal

This latest faux "war on religion" concerning contraception is also debunked.

Rachel Maddow Responds to Cal Thomas' Ugly Remarks at CPAC [VIDEO]

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 8:48 a.m. ( | suggest removal

The Office of Congressional Ethics is investigating **the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee** over possible violations of insider-trading laws, according to individuals familiar with the case.

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 9:19 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit, thanks for the Rachel Maddows link. It was interesting to say the least. So much so that I emailed the link to Jamie. Who knows if she will ever see it but I'll bet there is a lot of people talking about it today in DC.

hawkeye — February 10, 2012 at 10:05 a.m. ( | suggest removal

dfsadfh,

Yes, I completely misunderstood your comments.

When I add the "play nice" comment, I don't believe it destroys the chronological counts, other than my first comment. It takes precedence for sure, but the rest should fall in line normally. I'll keep an eye out to see if I'm wrong.

But I haven't noticed a connection between the "View # More" problem and my "play nice" comments or deleted comments. I'll definitely look into that and see if there's something there, though. I don't imagine there would be, but I've been wrong before.

Matt Wastradowski — February 10, 2012 at 10:54 a.m. ( | suggest removal

***My HERO!!!!!!***

**NOT**

By barring out-of-state gay couples from getting married in the state, "On my watch, we fought hard and prevented Massachusetts from becoming the Las Vegas of gay marriage," Romney said. He added, "When I am President, I will defend the Defense of Marriage Act and I will fight for an amendment to our Constitution that defines marriage as a relationship between one man and one woman."

hawkeye — February 10, 2012 at 11:14 a.m. ( | suggest removal

ELISI — February 10, 2012 at 6:28 a.m.

A trailer overturned. I was only half listening, and I'm not sure whether they said house or horse trailer.

roger — February 10, 2012 at 12:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Roger, thanks! I saw a pickup pulling a horse trailer parked on the side, but the firetruck and other emergency vehicles were blocking the area so couldn't get a good look.
Hope no one was hurt or animals.

ELISI — February 10, 2012 at 12:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal

hawk @ 11:14 Pretty ballzy statement coming from a Romney. Considering his family chose a Polygamist lifestyle when they came to the United States, then had to flee to Mexico to escape prosecution! We'll hear more about this before the circus goes to convention. You can bet Newt & Dick...sorry...Rick will bring it front and center.

Sooooo...if he feels undocumented Mexicans should be prosecuted, how's he feel about rampant Polygamy? Utah LE have turned a blind eye for about 150 years now in Utah. Once in awhile a Jeffries pops up, but Polygamists overall face zero consequences. I've been to Utah many times and "Pligs" are always around and about.

**Mitt Romney's great grandfather fled to Mexico to practice polygamy (VIDEO)**

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 2:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwa, nice article from NOVEMBER of LAST YEAR! I see you are staying current on things. Did you have to go back that far on a conservative site to find an article?

hawkeye — February 10, 2012 at 2:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk,
Really you really think a couple months is that big a deal. When all politics is about who, what, when ,where and how many people you screw. I'm just tired of getting screwed by our current administration. Getting taxed to death is not the answer. How about the president just a couple weeks ago saying no to the pipeline and thousands of top wage paying jobs which would then have money spent in these towns in local businesses....Same as the new proposed bridge. It will bring back millions in revenue to local businesses..

vanwadreamer — February 10, 2012 at 4:32 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Will.i.am also talked politics: He said President Barack Obama is not a "magic man," and that people shouldn't expect him to solve the country's problems with "some freakin' plan."

"We can sit and point fingers and say Obama's not doing his job, but you're supposed to do your job," said will.i.am, who has supported Obama in the past.

***See, he gets it, what's so friggin hard to understand?***

vanwa, I'll bet you didn't watch the Maddow video, did you? And if you did, you only watched about 1 minute of it.

hawkeye — February 10, 2012 at 5:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 2:50 p.m.

Romney does not believe in government sanctioned same sex marriage, nor polygamy. So just what is the point of your comments of 2:50 p.m.? He seems to be consistent when he states his belief that a marriage is between one man and one woman.

On the other hand: if one believes in the propriety of government recognized same sex marriage, then would one not also believe in the rights of individuals to enter into polygamyous marriage? Would not government intrusions into intimate contact between consenting adults of sound mind, be equally unconstitutional?

I would certainly be most interested in your thoughts on these matters.

kn_dalai — February 10, 2012 at 5:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal

has anyone else noticed what's going on in the mideast? now there syrian tanks without syrian protesters. egypt's internal gvt is in crisis...even china's gvt is unstable.

iran is furiously researching the final mechanics for their bomb, and there are claims it can reach the us. hello radioactive oil.

read where one oil potentate promised crude wouldn't go over $100/bbl. i think back to what the authors said caused the world's depression and subsequent wwII, and i'm frankly worried.

anybody out there with that happy-next-day-will-be-ok mentality?

DeeLittle — February 10, 2012 at 8:19 p.m. ( | suggest removal

*I would certainly be most interested in your thoughts on these matters.*

What up kn_d? My point is he stands in moral judgement and condemns same sex marriage as not being honorable. Pretty tough sell to yourself and others when you have had generations of family members persecuted for not following the marital/moral law of the land. Eager to discriminate and reverse/disallow a marital situation he doesn't agree with. Even though most of America disagrees with him.

*Would not government intrusions into intimate contact between consenting adults of sound mind, be equally unconstitutional?*

Who in their right mind would have more than one wife?

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 8:59 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Who in their right mind would have more than one wife?

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 8:59 p.m

You mean at a time, right?

hawkeye — February 10, 2012 at 9:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

yeah. Tomorrow's gonna be fine dee. Unless we listen to the neo-con's drumbeats for war. The extreme right has nothing to offer but fear...

*U.S. Jews Should Heed Top Israeli Soldiers Who Oppose Bombing Iran*

The struggle between Israel’s civilian and military leaders eerily evokes the struggle inside the Bush administration over war with Iraq. Like Dick Cheney, Benjamin Netanyahu has only one mode: apocalyptic.

Some of Israel’s leading soldiers and spies are warning against bombing Iran. American Jews should listen to them rather than accept Netanyahu’s apocalyptic claim that Tehran’s nuclear program is an existential threat to the state.

An Iranian nuke would shift the regional power balance in Iran and Hizbullah’s favor, and potentially trigger a frightening arms race in the Middle East. But shifting power balances and increased threat levels are a far cry from Netanyahu’s language of existential destruction, a vocabulary that equates the defenseless European Jews of 1938 with contemporary Israel, a country with dozens, if not hundreds, of nuclear weapons.

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 9:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

If the Jews want war...let em. Instead of being the ones persecuted, they've become the persecutors. It's getting old defending war mongering politico cowboys like NetenYahoo. We need to tell him to shut his mouth or we won't have their back. He's making a bad situation worse.

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 9:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal

hawk- Yes! I've always thought it cruel that society reveres being with one partner for your entire life. :) But God Bless those that do. And God bless those that don't. Hell, God bless everybody!

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 9:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"You've read about the goddesses, come on. They're an international sensation. These are my girlfriends. These are the women that I love that have completed the three parts of my heart. ... It's a polygamy story. All my guy friends are gonna like throw tomatoes at me. It's like an organic union of the hearts." *Charlie*

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 9:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo Football Snap: Celtics Pay Tribute To Patriots (VIDEO)

nailingit — February 10, 2012 at 10:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Press Talk: I very much appreciate Lou's clarification of his on-going needling of public workers. This has happened in the press a lot. We have to identify a demon and it makes it so much easier and fun when that demon is human.

The real problem is a system (government) that has avoided decades and decades of accountability. Attack the people who have been hired to uphold some of these ridiculous laws? Attack the people who are providing services in bloated agencies? The jobs are there and they applied and were hired. They are paying taxes and avoiding welfare.

Lou, I have said before that I never understood your focus on these workers when your wife is a hard-working servant of our children and grandchildren herself. Glad to know you get it and always have.

Are you both going to be able to retire on her government largesse? Not easily. Is she going to end her career knowing she helped hundreds of children and families access appropriate services they need? You bet. And I'll wager she served them all with a depth of caring that money cannot buy.

manthou — February 11, 2012 at 7:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I've often wondered why many rail against public worker's wages and at the same time want "family wage" jobs to come to town. Seems good paying jobs are great unless you've got to pay them. Many dislike unions, yet auto workers, for example, used to make great money and pay lots of taxes. As automakers moved many functions offshore to cheaper labor markets, did anyone see the price of new cars drop? I didn't. WalMart is a very successful business model, paying minimum wage, no benefits, and working most everyone part-time. How many people working at such places receive social assistance? I'm betting a lot. So in essence, the taxpayers, thru social assistance, are subsidizing WallyWorld indirectly by making up it's shortfall in wages. The Waltons rake in billions while their employees on the floors of their stores make squat. When the Walton's income was dinged a little by even cheaper "dollar stores", they decided to eliminate their greeters.
America practices vulture capitalism to a degree not seen in developed countries, and it's beginning to hurt.
While I'm om my box, the treatment of unionized teachers in this country is pathetic. These folks have a tremendous influence on our children, and yet they're treated as though they are little more than child-care providers. Yet they seem to be on the front line of attacks on public employees. Why anyone would want to teach in primary education is beyond me.

mrd — February 11, 2012 at 8:38 a.m. ( | suggest removal

mrd: As usual, you make many thoughtful points in your post above. I agree with them all, especially the bit about Wally World and teachers. :)

Not many people want to expend energy into analyzing these problems with any depth or honesty. Maybe they don't have the brain power to do so.

Regardless, legislators and corporations (like Walmart) are counting on us turning against each other because it diverts attention to the real issues.

manthou — February 11, 2012 at 8:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou- Good morning! I wish I had the same takeaway as you, that Lou gets it. He devoted most of his write to "an unlevel playing field."

I know of a few government workers in Congress that should be kicked to the curb this November!

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 9:10 a.m. ( | suggest removal

mrd, manthou,

Yep, and wait for the gov't jobs to be axed. "Why do I have to wait in the unemployment line so long?" - perhaps because the person who used to wait on you is now there with you. "Why didn't someone call and tell me my kid was skipping school?" - perhaps because the admin support person who did that is no longer there. "Why am I waiting so long in line at the supermarket for all these people using WIC, food stamps, and all the other public assistance?" - because of all the public and private sector workers that no longer have jobs or are working part time at WalMart, Burger King, etc., just to survive.

roger — February 11, 2012 at 9:11 a.m. ( | suggest removal

If anybody knows anyone that actually WANTS to work and make good money and benefits, there are job openings at Western Star (Freightliner) on Swan Island. Go to : http://dtna.jobs/portland/oregon/usa/jobs/ to apply. If you get the job, be sure to get there every day on time.

hawkeye — February 11, 2012 at 9:23 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkeye,

Looks to me like all the jobs at your link that are here in Portland require a fair amount of education and technical experience. (And I would hope that anyone who qualifies understands the concept of getting to work on time!) The entry level and plant jobs are all in North Carolina. Which stands to reason - auto manufacturers and others have also moved there.

roger — February 11, 2012 at 9:45 a.m. ( | suggest removal

hawkeye, nailingit,
"Who in their right mind would have more than one wife?"

If you can afford it, then its probably not as difficult as it sounds. Doesn't the senior wife keep the rest in line? Just make sure you pick wisely the first time around!

roger — February 11, 2012 at 9:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit,
"If the Jews want war...let em. Instead of being the ones persecuted, they've become the persecutors."

An oversimplification of a problem with no real solution. The Arab world wants Israel gone - pure and simple. The Jews want their Biblical homeland in order to have a haven from the persecution they've sustained at the hands of Western Christians for nearly 2000 years. Israel puts kibbutz's in Palestinian territory. Palestinians bomb anywhere and everywhere. And any time a settlement looks possible, we see another political leader get assassinated. Oh - and everyone (Muslim, Jew and Christian) wants Jerusalem, especially the Temple Mount - sharing is out of the question.

Politically we support Israel - Jews have political clout in our nation and other Western countries. Economically, we're controlled by Big Oil, which in turn supports OPEC and the Arab world.

There is no winning this one. Unless you're one of the Christian groups that believes in the end of days and Armageddon, that is.

roger — February 11, 2012 at 10:14 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger @ 9:51- Agreed! The first selection must be one that would keep order in the ranks.

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 10:47 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 10:47 a.m.

At some point it would be nice for another person to speak up and say what idiots we are - I suspect we're enjoying this conversation too much.

roger — February 11, 2012 at 11:03 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger, I should have mentioned the job numbers. The Machinist job # is 1004698 The Materials job # is 1004699. Put those numbers in to get the job listings.

Also, on the wife thing, I really don't think it would work out for me, I prefer my "wife" to have a brain and I really don't think ANY intelligent woman would consider being number two or number three.

hawkeye — February 11, 2012 at 11:48 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Something from Kiplinger on Social Security payout. To qualify for a max payout, you need to work at least 35 years. And any strategy is a crapshoot - we have no way of knowing how long we'll live.

"Here's how it works: Let's say you qualify for full benefits of $1,600 a month at your normal retirement age of 66, but you decide to begin collecting your benefits at 62. Your retirement benefits will be reduced by 25% for the rest of your life -- to $1,200 a month, in this example -- because you'll be collecting a smaller benefit for a longer period of time."

"On the other hand, if you delay collecting benefits, you will receive an 8% credit for every year beyond your normal retirement age until you reach 70, when your maximum benefit will be 132% of what you would have received at age 66. In this example, you would receive about $2,100 a month at 70 -- a $900 difference."

A little number crunching shows total payout will be:
At 72: $144,000; $115,200; $50,400.
At 76: $201,600; $192,000; $151,200.
At 80: $259,200; $268,800; $252,000.
At 84: $316,800; $345,600; $352,800.

But from a different viewpoint - annual payout.
Start at 62: $14,400.
Start at 66: $19,200.
Start at 70: $25,200.

And all this little exercise tells me is - for a single person without major medical issues:
Starting at 62 requires a fair income from other sources.
Starting at 66 just might be doable - barely - on just SS.
Starting at 70 could be done on just SS - no frills, but not a lot of pain.

Whatever. It's time to go find something useful to spend my day on.

roger — February 11, 2012 at 11:54 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkeye,

Thanks - I'll let my son know. Geez - I was reading the Material Handler job description, and it sounds exactly like the shipping department jobs I used to work during summer break from college. I could just start with one end of the warehouse district, and by the end of the day have a job. I guess the competition is a lot different these days, though.

As for the second part of your 11:48 post - the same line of thought led to my 11:03 comment.

roger — February 11, 2012 at 12:07 p.m. ( | suggest removal

now i see what goldie meant.

DeeLittle — February 11, 2012 at 1:22 p.m. ( | suggest removal

^...how cryptic...:)

*Cal Thomas Apologizes To Rachel Maddow For Contraception Comment (VIDEO)*

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 2 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Sarah is speaking live on CNN @ C-PAC.

id·i·ot noun \ˈi-dē-ət\

Definition of IDIOT

usually offensive : a person affected with extreme mental retardation
: a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See idiot defined for English-language learners »
See idiot defined for kids »
Examples of IDIOT

Don't be such an idiot!

Origin of IDIOT

Middle English, from Anglo-French ydiote, from Latin idiota ignorant person, from Greek idiōtēs one in a private station, layman, ignorant person, from idios one's own, private; akin to Latin suus one's own — more at suicide
First Known Use: 14th century
Related to IDIOT

Synonyms: airhead, birdbrain, blockhead, bonehead, bubblehead, chowderhead, chucklehead, clodpoll (or clodpole), clot [British], cluck, clunk, cretin, cuddy (or cuddie) [British dialect], deadhead, dim bulb [slang], dimwit, dip, dodo, dolt, donkey, doofus [slang], dope, dork [slang], dullard, dumbbell, dumbhead, dum-dum, dummkopf, dummy, dunce, dunderhead, fathead, gander, golem, goof, goon, half-wit, hammerhead, hardhead, ignoramus, imbecile, jackass, know-nothing, knucklehead, lamebrain, loggerhead [chiefly dialect], loon, lump, lunkhead, meathead, mome [archaic], moron, mug [chiefly British], mutt, natural, nimrod [slang], nincompoop, ninny, ninnyhammer, nit [chiefly British], nitwit, noddy, noodle, numskull (or numbskull), oaf, pinhead, prat [British], ratbag [chiefly Australian], saphead, schlub (also shlub) [slang], schnook [slang], simpleton, stock, stupe, stupid, thickhead, turkey, woodenhead, yahoo, yo-yo, dumb cluck
Antonyms: brain, genius
[+]more
Learn More About IDIOT

Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for "idiot"
Spanish-English Dictionary: Translation of "idiot"
Medical Dictionary: Definition of "idiot"
Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: idiot board
Previous Word in the Dictionary: idiosyncrasy
All Words Near: idiot
Seen & Heard

What made you want to look up idiot?***** Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

***** Sarah

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 2:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Andy seems to be under the influence of something more than the usual gay bashing and hate mongering C-PAC distributes to their following. I think he ordered a side of meth.

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 2:21 p.m. ( | suggest removal

If you're looking for the end of the recession, you'll need a telescope.

Workers that lost jobs 2007-2009 that could find work averaged a 25% wage reduction. For all workers, the income drop was 57%. That's billions and billions of dollars, if not trillions, out of the economy and billions of dollars of lost tax revenues. With governments basing budgets on projected revenues in a hot economy, when a recession hits as hard and deep as this one, as we've seen, they're all in deep do-do. After every other recession, public hiring was the number 1 driving force behind recovery. In stark constrast, governments today are still cutting jobs.

If the monthly hiring pace today averaged what is was between 2000 and 2005, employment will reach 2005 levels in 2024. Buddy can you spare a dime?

mrd — February 11, 2012 at 2:43 p.m. ( | suggest removal

**GOP Ups The Ante, Introduces Legislation To Allow Any Employer To Deny Any Preventive Health Service**

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 2:45 p.m. ( | suggest removal

How about some dirty tricks;

hawkeye — February 11, 2012 at 6:19 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Good vid hawk. Right wing supporters just keep bringing the muck.

Here's some insight on Newt's sugar daddy. I hope our conservative supreme court justices are proud of their Citizens United decision. And conservatives are always accusing left leaning judges of radical activism. LOL!

Sheldon Adelson and the End of American Anti-Semitism

If a Jew-hater somewhere, inspired perhaps by The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, sought to invent an individual who symbolizes almost all the anti-Semitic clichés that have dogged the Jewish people throughout history, he could hardly come up with a character more perfect than Sheldon Adelson.

Think about it. Adelson, who likes to brag, “You know, I am the richest Jew in the world,” is a gambling magnate who is reported to be under criminal investigation for official bribery and has been accused of having widespread ties to organized crime, including the use of prostitution for his business interests. He is openly deploying his $22 billion fortune to pervert our democracy on behalf of what he believes to be the best interests of Israel, which he defines as an endless war by the Jewish state against its adversaries, with America offering its unquestioning support.

nailingit — February 11, 2012 at 8:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Local stuff: Ray Legendre: Excellent report on E-Verify. I sent the CC commissioners and Vancouver City Council my concerns about the dark side of this law with references way back when. We needed an in-depth article to show both sides of the story and you did that well.

My husband had to sign on to E-Verify for a contract in another state. The process was onerous, actually. You let them know your company wants to sign on and they take weeks to get back to you. When they do, there is an online tutorial and mandated test at the end for good reason. The law is complicated and the risks of catching the innocent in the net erroneously is big. I ran his profile through as a test (and was slapped heartily by E-Verify for doing so, as he technically is already employed by the company he owns) and was amazed to see a photo of his passport pop up on the screen within seconds. Big Bro is alive and well.

Cami Joner: Loved your downtown piece. Anecdotally, I noticed the influx of youthful creativity and applaud it. I am also hoping that WA gay marriage endorsement brings more diversity from the south bank of The Columbia. I think it will.

manthou — February 12, 2012 at 6:04 a.m. ( | suggest removal

*Huselkamp also spotlighted the House GOP's support for the budget proposal crafted by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, which has become both a blueprint and a rallying cry for a conservative approach to reining in entitlement spending.*

This from a CNN article about Republican House freshmen "hitting the wall" in DC. Again, they claim the two biggest obstacles to their "success" are the democratic Senate and the White House. Sounds like they've figured out they'll need the tyranny of the majority to ramrod their agendas thru as it was under Bush and the first 2 years of Obama, neither of which was particularly popular with voters and led, I believe, to the political divisiveness we have today.
But I guess they've yet to figure out whacking SS isn't very popular, in fact, is real unpopular, especially to me. Stands to reason, I'm getting to that age. To include SS in the same sentence with the word "entitlements" makes my blood boil. That makes SS sound as though it's the same thing as social assistance. It's not, it's MY money. Further, how much has the payroll tax cut helped anything? From where I sit, I can't tell. Why they cut this tax is beyond me. It hasn't helped the overall economy and it's decreasing contributions to SS. That combined with fewer people working to pay into SS, and millions paying in less due to wage reductions, it seems SS is destined to be destroyed soon anyway. Perhaps the payroll tax cut was a ploy to pacify folks on the tax cuts for the wealthy, can't see much other use for it.
Long story short, the country is in severe economic straits. It seems everything the governments propose will balance the books on the backs of a dwindling middle class and the poor (see Greece). In the case of SS, raising the cap doesn't even seem to be on the table. Never able to figure that out either.

mrd — February 12, 2012 at 7:59 a.m. ( | suggest removal

**Ronald Reagan: Welfare Queen of Montana (or: Tax Tips for Mitt Romney)**

The California Welfare Rights Organization attempted to present Reagan with a "Highest Paid Welfare Recipient" award; Fresno State students organized a canned-food-and-clothing drive to help the governor through hard times.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/national-affairs/ronald-reagan-welfare-queen-of-montana-or-tax-tips-for-mitt-romney-20120207#ixzz1mDBGGiPd

nailingit — February 12, 2012 at 3:06 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Newt says, Food Stamp President

hawkeye — February 12, 2012 at 3:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Greek Parliament Approves Austerity Package

As hooded youths torched shops and battled police in the streets of Athens on Sunday, lawmakers approved a tough austerity package that is expected to help the country avoid default.

Parliament accepted the plan after Greece’s so-called troika of foreign lenders — the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund — had demanded the measures in exchange for about $170 billion in bailout money. The troika had also made passage a condition for sealing a deal in which private creditors will take voluntary losses of up to 70 percent on Greek debt.

**It's about time**

hawkeye — February 12, 2012 at 4:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Enough is enough!!! I wouldn't be surprised if some serious blood starts spilling over these issues. Some targeted violence, and this time not coming from the police.

It doesn't take a Democrat to see what's going on people....WAKE UP!!!

It's a war on the middle class. Right, left, middle...they distract you from what their doing and feed into societies systemic bigotry. Everything from our "undocumented President" to reforming Medicare to "save it". They serve up con artists like Beck Limbaugh and Hannity. You know, the bloated overpaid corporate zealots whose job it is to feed us this garbage.

WAKE UP! It's hard to believe anyone's I.Q. or partisanship stands in the way of what's happening.

WAKE UP!

WAKE UP!

WAKE UP!

WASHINGTON -- A little-noted provision in the House Republicans' controversial energy and transportation bill would strip several thousand workers within the rail-industry of their federal minimum-wage and overtime protections, potentially making low-wage jobs pay even less.

According to Stem, many of the rail drivers already earn low wages and work long hours; the loss of overtime, he said, would have an immediate effect on their paychecks.

"It amuses me when [House Speaker] John Boehner says there are no earmarks in there," Stem said of the bill. "This is an earmark for a handful of wealthy people who own these companies. This is a windfall."

PLEASE READ MORE @

(whew!....thanks, I feel better. :)...but seriously...time to wake up people.

nailingit — February 12, 2012 at 5:09 p.m. ( | suggest removal

One may wish to consider the ideas of propoganda, and of self-indoctrination. It would seem that one may end up going off the deep end, over some very obsessive ideas.

One may also wish to examine the idea of obsessive-compulsive disorder, which sometimes includes such things as “preoccupation with SEXUAL, VIOLENT or RELIGIOUS thoughts. “ Among many other things. According to Wiki’s input on the thing. ( Captital letters added by myself.)

Hmmmm.

kn_dalai — February 12, 2012 at 6 p.m. ( | suggest removal

hawkeye — February 12, 2012 at 4:03 p.m.

You are aware that the unions have been against the austerity measures? Unions described by the AP as communist unions.

As you are a supporter of unions in this country, perhaps you can explain your apparent support of the Greek vote for the austerity measures.

Are those guys and ladies in the Greek parliament, going to get out of there alive?

kn_dalai — February 12, 2012 at 6:11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkeye, I saw in your comment that you are following what is going on in Greece...and yes, the unions are totally involved with the chaos going on over there. The unions, along with the people, the shopkeepers, the wage earners, the sons, the fathers, the uncles. Put it this way...if we see anything in the way of major cutbacks in our government...major cutbacks in Social Services and SSI... what we have witnessed thus far with Occupy Wall Street is nothing compared to what we will experience here. The people have become too dependent in our nation.

When the transition to the Euro began, the folks of the small mountain villages had little or no communication with the outside world. People were allowed a limited amount of exchange when it came to the transition and many were "stuck" with the drachmas.

Today...Athens is no longer a destination point for world travelers. It has become too dangerous which is truly a world tragedy, given the history. It breaks my heart to see Greece literally fall apart with people starving to death in their homes...children with no food and family men who have had no recourse but to stand up and fight against their own government. Families torn from their homes because of no income and the sudden implosion of property tax increases we have yet to see here (yes folks, a lot worse than here). Let's just put it this way...they will even count how many exterior doors you have on your house, how many balconies...and they'll tax the aich ee double toothpicks out of ya.

The honest truth is...Greece should never have succumbed to the suggestion(yeah, right! Suggestion my patooty) by folks such as George Soros to join(?) the European Union and to open the borders. I don't dare call it what it really is. Some refer to it as blackmail. Anyhow, the transition to joining the EU caused such an influx of immigrants to the country...so much that the already struggling economic structure couldn't handle the sudden rush of people depending on the government for everything and jobs disappeared.

Sound familiar???

goldenoldie — February 12, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_dalai...

According to the Greek news reports, several cabinet members in the Greek Parliament have quit their jobs.

goldenoldie — February 12, 2012 at 6:32 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Goldie,

I've been waiting for your input on this thing for a while now. Thanks. Good to hear from you!

kn_dalai — February 12, 2012 at 6:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — February 12, 2012 at 6:32 p.m.

Yes. But they have quit over their unwillingness to accept the trioka deal.

Since then, the thing has passed. Now what?

kn_dalai — February 12, 2012 at 6:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_d. And you've behaved yourself for SO long! :)) *( Captital letters added by myself.)* :)))

I see you have found solace on the wavy gravy train.

Is it a rude awakening for you to see your bazooka bubblegum "say it ain't so Joe" theories from the 1700's unfold? It's not a game anymore ...is it?

If one chooses to wrap themselves in 1700 ideology and play dress up with the constitution, then "one may wish" to consider the consequences. Not a pretty picture, is it. To see your ideas put into place and watch the hurt put on America from the faux constitutionalists you helped put into office.

Relax! Get laid! Have a drink! Let's "examine" what could be behind those "sometimes" (medical term?) obsessive compulsions you speak of. :)))

Obsessive-compulsive disorder

Obsessive-compulsive neurosis; OCD
Last reviewed: February 11, 2010.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).

Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only provides temporary relief. **Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety.**(could this be related to church attendance?)

Sometimes it takes a little cognitive therapy to release the demons that bind...

On another note kn_d. Do you like the Giants to repeat next year?

nailingit — February 12, 2012 at 8:23 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Oh...hi goldenoldie!

nailingit — February 12, 2012 at 8:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

For those on the right that haven't bookmarked this yet, here's your chance!

GEORGE SOROS IS ATTEMPTING TO CONVERT AMERICA TO COMMUNISM WITH HELP OF OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

PART 1
PART 2
PART 3

Soro's Open Society Institute Organization is Run by an SDS Communist. Beck Describes the Democratic Party's Shadow Government.

nailingit — February 12, 2012 at 8:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hi kids, all I know is that when my company said they were having bad times and asked us to take a CUT in our pay AND give back our raises AND not take any cost of living for three years, our union and the other three unions all voted to take the cuts. We did it to make the company better and healthier and to keep it here in the Northwest instead of North Carolina or Mexico. We ended up losing around $4 per hour for over four years that we NEVER got back. Then when the economy took a crap, I lost a ton of bucks on my 401k and had to take an early retirement in order to get a retirement. That means less bucks and less benefits for me and my family.

I'm not saying it's anything close to what is happening in Greece but the misdeeds by Wall Street, the Banks et al, royally screwed everyone but the rich.

The thing about Greece is that they need to have a starting point to get back to good. It's going to take time to get there but I think this is a good place to start.

hawkeye — February 12, 2012 at 10:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_d,

You do understand that a union is the sum of the members. Don't you?

hawkeye — February 12, 2012 at 11:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal