Klineline Pond was declared off-limits to swimmers Wednesday after public health officials determined the popular swimming area was a likely source of several cases of an intestinal bacterial infection, according to a news release.
The first case of infection by the Shigellosis sonnei bacteria was reported July 17, and officials with Clark County Public Health traced the cases to the pond and closed it to swimming until further notice.
The rest of Salmon Creek Regional Park remains open to the public.
Anyone who was been in contact with the water at Klineline Pond between June 27 and July 25 and is experiencing bloody diarrhea, fever and cramping abdominal pain is asked to call 800-203-7491 and seek medical care.
Clark County Public Health will monitor and test the water for bacterial contamination.
Shigellosis typically lasts three to 10 days, though people may carry the bacteria without showing symptoms. Infections can be severe, especially in young children and the elderly. People can carry the bacteria and not have symptoms, the news release said.
The infection spreads through exposure to fecal matter, so it’s important to wash hands after changing diapers or coming into contact with fecal matter.